N-400 interview scheduled but we're moving!

limeyvirgo

Registered Users (C)
I have my interview scheduled for April.
My husband is a federal employee and we are moving to a different state over 1200 miles away. We will be gone by the end of the month.
What do I do?
Can they reschedule my interview in my new state?
Will this delay my application process?
Help !

2 residences

My husband is a federal employee and we are moving to a different state over 1200 miles away. We will be gone by the end of the month.
What do I do?
Help !

Can you afford to keep two residences? I would complete my N-400 interview, take the oath, have my citizenship certificate in my hand and then leave the city for good.

I am working in Boston at the moment as a consultant. I still maintain my residency and permanent place in Atlanta just so that I don't create any further delays. Once my wife gets her interview call and gets her GC, I will then think about moving to a house or completely relocating to a different city/state but for now changing addresses with USCIS, you are asking for trouble in my opinion.

It all depends on what you value most, the money or the time. If it is the money, then try to reschedule the interview and get it transfered to your new place of residence, if all goes well it will take 3 to 5 months more (I am quoting what I remember reading earlier), if you value time the most, then keep your old residence until you naturalize.

Rescheduling and transferring to a new district office is definitely going to cause some delay, big or small depends on a lot of factors, among them how busy is the district office in your new place.

My 2 cents.

I suggest you too keep current residence, and complete N400 first. You do not want to deal with USCIS all over again

Look at posts by shie0023. He had moved during N-400 processing and did not seem to have suffered too much of a time loss. But there was some issue during his interview scheduling.

Of course, the preferred way is to stay put. Good luck.

Regards.

OY

I'd suggest stay put for at least the interview. At the time of interview, check if it will be possible to get scheduled for the next earliest oath at the present DO. If that is not possible or if the next oath is way too far in future, you can request them to transfer your oath to the other DO.

Interview re-scheduling would likely add more delay than oath re-scheduling.

I can't stay put and we can't afford 2 homes, not on a one income family.
My husband has orders to report to his new duty location by the end of month.
I can fly back down here and do the interview if I absolutely had to.

I just don't want to mess things up :(

limeyvirgo: Just a thought- I've seen some military wives on this board apparently get preferential processing from USCIS. They said they called the 'military line' when they spoke with USCIS. I'm wondering if you happen to have a similar 'trump card' that you can use to your advantage to speed up your processing? If not, and if you absolutely must move, then I would assume at least a few months delay. If you can tolerate a few months' delay, and are willing to make a few extra phone calls to USCIS, then you should be just fine after moving and letting USCIS know of your new address. They are supposed to schedule your remaining steps (FP, interview, oath... whichever are not yet done) at your new DO.

Again, the preferred way is to stay put if at all possible.

Regards.
OY

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stay put and we can't afford 2 homes, not on a one income family.
My husband has orders to report to his new duty location by the end of month.
I can fly back down here and do the interview if I absolutely had to.

I just don't want to mess things up :(

Well... you don't have to stay in "your house"; if you have friends/family in the area you can always stay with them.

The other option is to schedule an INFOPASS and find if there is any way they can accomodate you.

Move if you have to. It will delay it by 3-5 months, but dont worry.
You cannot stop everything. Just move and take a small delay in your stride as part of life.

What do I do?
Help !

Yes you "can" reschedule, but the bigger question is "do you want to?". A move involving a change of DO incurs a minimum 90 day delay while you legally become a resident of the new district. Beyond that, expect the overall process to be delayed while USCIS transfers your files and schedules you for the new interview. 4-6 months is not uncommon.