N-400 in process - can I move back to India?

bizdock

I just did my FP in DC. We want to move back for good but only after getting the czn'ship. Given that we are in the initial stages, if we move now, what are the implications?

If you move before your oath then you will have abandoned your N-400 and also since you are moving for good you are abandoning your Green Card. It would have been better to not file for the N-400 and saved the money.

Now you either waste that money you spent or you must remain here to prove you still live in the US before the Oath. After you get your interview (whenever that is) and then when you get your Oath letter (when ever that will be) and then finally after your Oath date (wheven that may be) then when you are an official US citizen can you then move and not worry...

I just did my FP in DC. We want to move back for good but only after getting the czn'ship. Given that we are in the initial stages, if we move now, what are the implications?

You should continue to reside in the US till you are naturalized ie Oath. The Naturalization certificate states among other things that as of this date (oath date) The Secretary of Homeland security found that you reside in the US...So it is a requirement that you be a US resident as of your oath date.

You are required to maintain continuous residence in the US from the time of submitting the application until being granted citizenship (in addition to the 5 year/3 year requirements). So the short answer to your question is NO.

If you move before your oath then you will have abandoned your N-400 and also since you are moving for good you are abandoning your Green Card. It would have been better to not file for the N-400 and saved the money.

Now you either waste that money you spent or you must remain here to prove you still live in the US before the Oath. After you get your interview (whenever that is) and then when you get your Oath letter (when ever that will be) and then finally after your Oath date (wheven that may be) then when you are an official US citizen can you then move and not worry...

Hehehehe.. Is just like getting a rock and poke in ur head...I agree this..

If you'd taken the time to learn anything at all about the naturalization process, you'd realize this is an absurd question. Citizenship is a privilege extended to genuine residents of the US, not some extra passport you tuck away to make your future travel plans easier.

If you leave the country now, you stand a high chance of being denied after your N-400 interview. Don't forget, once you become a citizen, you'll be needing to file tax returns with the IRS forever.

I would say stick around and complete the process. Add 2-3 months to the processing time to finish passport and OCI formalities. Then you are free to move! DC is fast so you could just wait a lil longer.

There are very specific examples in the adjudicators field manual that test the N-400 applicants continuous residency. CR requirements can be very broad and you could be said to break CR if your intent no longer remains to reside permanently in the USA. This applies all the way to the day of your oath.

I think it is best to wait until you have your passport in hand.

If you can work it out such (with your overseas employer) that you are going overseas on a temporary assignment you should be ok. After you get your citizenship it will not matter.

Though many people on this thread have indicated the absurdity of what you are attempting to do now; most, if not all, may do the same thing at a later stage. Ultimately the bottom line for getting the US citizenship is to get the greater flexibility of being able to travel and reside anywhere your "multiple" citizenships permit. If anyone expresses otherwise they are just kidding themselves, and if not, then they are just being a trifle narrow minded to project their beliefs (of the reason for getting the US Citizenship) on others through criticism.

Best of luck on whatever you chose to do!!!

Though many people on this thread have indicated the absurdity of what you are attempting to do now; most, if not all, may do the same thing at a later stage. Ultimately the bottom line for getting the US citizenship is to get the greater flexibility of being able to travel and reside anywhere your "multiple" citizenships permit. If anyone expresses otherwise they are just kidding themselves, and if not, then they are just being a trifle narrow minded to project their beliefs (of the reason for getting the US Citizenship) on others through criticism.

The problem here is one of intent. If a person intends to leave the US as soon as they secure their citizenship, they are violating the principles of naturalization and their application should be denied. There is no knowing what will happen months or years down the road, but if your current intent is to live and work in the US, you should have the opportunity to become a citizen.

While I too like boatbod don't agree with the OPs abuse of the US citizenship, I think your posting is way over the top. You don't need to be abusive. Do I see some baggage here from your ex country? (like the serbia/bosnia type!)

Seeing it from a non-judgemental point of view, I think the OP can definitely do that. There are over a 100,000 Australians of Honkong origin who went back after getting their Aussie citizenship. Earlier many Maltese and Greeks did the same thing. It is very common for people to decide to go back and have the flexbility to come back or for the children to do so.

ha biz dock

Pl stop posting stupid threads if you wanted to leave to India do so no body wants your lazy ass here use your own progrative to stay here or not

try finding some sites like physchos for us and post suh ads over there now USCIS has got you money sure U can go now ....ur thread is the dumbiest I have ever seen this is immgration realted site not some personal preference issue site ....go take a dip in Ganga may be your brain gets back to where it belongs....

Seeing it from a non-judgemental point of view, I think the OP can definitely do that. There are over a 100,000 Australians of Honkong origin who went back after getting their Aussie citizenship. Earlier many Maltese and Greeks did the same thing. It is very common for people to decide to go back and have the flexbility to come back or for the children to do so.
But if you tell the interviewer that you plan to do that, your citizenship will be denied. The intent to leave should not be there while applying for citizenship.

For example, if you got a green card by marriage and got divorced shortly after passing the two-year mark, you get to keep the green card. But if when interviewing for the green card you told the officer that you plan to get divorced right after the second anniversary, it would be denied.

You care to elaborate on that comment?

Boatbod, Thank you for sharing your information all the time in this forum (valuable)
I did my FP and I have no idea how long will it take to get my interview. I have to go to europ to see my wife for two weeks. My friend will check my mail box to see if I get anything from immigration to reschedule it for me.
I am alowed to leave between this process, Can I reschedule the interview?

Thank you

Why bother if you're moving back for good? I cannot understand your problem. Are planning of filing of tax returns from you country every year then? There may be other obligations as well.

If you leave the country now, you stand a high chance of being denied after your N-400 interview. Don't forget, once you become a citizen, you'll be needing to file tax returns with the IRS forever.[/QUOTE]

How do Us citizens file tax returns if they live outside of US? what if they don't work? any idea?

How do Us citizens file tax returns if they live outside of US? what if they don't work? any idea?
By mail or Internet. Only difference is that that if you're mailing it, the office to send it to might be different if you live outside the US (the address should be listed in the 1040 instructions and/or IRS web site), and you also get 2 extra months after April 15 to file the return.

Normally there is no requirement to file if your income (remember taxable income includes interest and investments, not just wages) is below a certain level (I think about $8000). But there are certain sets of people who have to file taxes anyway regardless of what their income is. I don't know if US citizens living abroad are included in that set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boatbod, Thank you for sharing your information all the time in this forum (valuable)
I did my FP and I have no idea how long will it take to get my interview. I have to go to europ to see my wife for two weeks. My friend will check my mail box to see if I get anything from immigration to reschedule it for me.
I am alowed to leave between this process, Can I reschedule the interview?

Thank you

Nimche - the question you are asking about temporary travel is quite different than whats being discussed here. Basically you have nothing to worry about since your trip is short and you'll likely not miss the interview appointment etc.

Nimche - the question you are asking about temporary travel is quite different than whats being discussed here. Basically you have nothing to worry about since your trip is short and you'll likely not miss the interview appointment etc.

Thank you, I was just double checking and I hate open up a new thread to ask stupid questions.

Thanks anyway.