bamberino311

Hello immigration forum, I am 19 years old, I have been a permanent resident in the United States since November 2, 2015, I am a non-citizens, I live in Garden Grove, California and I want my story to be heard about my N-400 denial.

On February 6, 2023, I took my Naturalization test to become a U.S. citizen. I passed my test but my case was denied because I accidentally registered to vote without knowing it is illegal. Which very naive of me and I wish I known about it since I came to the United States. I accidentally registered to vote while changing my driver license’s state from Nevada to California.

On June 22, 2022, I was at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at Anaheim city, in the beginning, I was told to enter my information on a screen in order to change my driver license’s state. On the screen, one of the questions said “Would you like to registered to vote?” and I did registered to vote, my thought was “I can registered to vote early so when I get my citizenship, I will be able to vote.” That naive thought caused my citizenship to be denied.

On my full oath, I did not have any intention of voting and the record shows no history of voting ever since I registered. On the same day after I took my Naturalization test, I went to Orange County Registrar of Voters, located at Santa Ana city and unregistered my voting.

Therefore I think my case was wrongly denied and I think I deserve my Citizenship to be granted, I did not have any intentions of voting, the record shows no voting history, I have had a good moral my whole time living in the United States. I’ve had no criminal history or anything related that would bring bad moral, but I accidentally registered to vote and now I have to wait 5 years to reapply for my Citizenship.

Also the voting form should have looked into the person’s information carefully before letting them to register to vote. There should be a way to prevent non-citizens to register as a voter, so something like this doesn’t happen again.

This whole event also cause me feeling really sad because I felt so stupid for not knowing a very important law. And now I’m trying to get my story out there somewhere so no one will have the same problem as me.

I think these processes that some states have off registering people at DMV is causing issues. I recall I was asked orally by DMV several years ago if I wanted to register for voting. But since I knew the law, I told the lady to please make sure that she does not register me to vote.

Unfortunately, depending on how USCIS treats this, it could be bad news. A false claim of citizenship (technically as per law), Will bar you from receiving any immigration benefits and can result in deportation. But sometimes, USCIS may consider this as a strike against good moral character requirement, which means you can apply again after 5 years. Your denial letter may have the clause under which you were denied. I suggest you get a lawyer to evaluate your case.

Hello immigration forum, I am 19 years old, I have been a permanent resident in the United States since November 2, 2015, I am a non-citizens, I live in Garden Grove, California and I want my story to be heard about my N-400 denial.

On February 6, 2023, I took my Naturalization test to become a U.S. citizen. I passed my test but my case was denied because I accidentally registered to vote without knowing it is illegal. Which very naive of me and I wish I known about it since I came to the United States. I accidentally registered to vote while changing my driver license’s state from Nevada to California.

On June 22, 2022, I was at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at Anaheim city, in the beginning, I was told to enter my information on a screen in order to change my driver license’s state. On the screen, one of the questions said “Would you like to registered to vote?” and I did registered to vote, my thought was “I can registered to vote early so when I get my citizenship, I will be able to vote.” That naive thought caused my citizenship to be denied.

On my full oath, I did not have any intention of voting and the record shows no history of voting ever since I registered. On the same day after I took my Naturalization test, I went to Orange County Registrar of Voters, located at Santa Ana city and unregistered my voting.

Therefore I think my case was wrongly denied and I think I deserve my Citizenship to be granted, I did not have any intentions of voting, the record shows no voting history, I have had a good moral my whole time living in the United States. I’ve had no criminal history or anything related that would bring bad moral, but I accidentally registered to vote and now I have to wait 5 years to reapply for my Citizenship.

Also the voting form should have looked into the person’s information carefully before letting them to register to vote. There should be a way to prevent non-citizens to register as a voter, so something like this doesn’t happen again.

This whole event also cause me feeling really sad because I felt so stupid for not knowing a very important law. And now I’m trying to get my story out there somewhere so no one will have the same problem as me.
Did they give you forgiveness? What is the situation now ?

I think these processes that some states have off registering people at DMV is causing issues. I recall I was asked orally by DMV several years ago if I wanted to register for voting. But since I knew the law, I told the lady to please make sure that she does not register me to vote.

Unfortunately, depending on how USCIS treats this, it could be bad news. A false claim of citizenship (technically as per law), Will bar you from receiving any immigration benefits and can result in deportation. But sometimes, USCIS may consider this as a strike against good moral character requirement, which means you can apply again after 5 years. Your denial letter may have the clause under which you were denied. I suggest you get a lawyer to evaluate your case.
My wife is denied because she admitted (coerced) into saying she claimed to be a citizen in the past . 100 lawyers have said there is no waiver /or time wait . Sure wish this was true about 5 year. We are in a out of status situation, married , and no hope of ever getting GC

I was in the same boat.
I got my citizenship last year.
There is hope. It is not the end of the journey.