N-400 / Changing last name

g2alerts

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Is there a detailed thread or website describing the procedure and things to keep in mind when applying for the US citizenship?

I know we need to fill out the N-400 but had a couple of questions like-

1. We did not change my wife's last name when we got our GC. I would like to change it as part of the US Citizenship. I noticed the N-400 had a Change Name section. Should we use this section to indicate she would like to change her last name? Does it slow down the process if we change her last name as part of the process?

2. Do we need to submit the G-325 as part of the process? We live in Massachusetts.

Thanks.

changing last name on N-400.

Hi,
You can change your name on your N-400 form and during the interview the IO will ask if you would like to keep the original name or changed on your Naturalization certificate. I believe requesting the change of name will not effect your processing times. hope this is helpful

5 Year Rule

Hi,
You can change your name on your N-400 form and during the interview the IO will ask if you would like to keep the original name or changed on your Naturalization certificate. I believe requesting the change of name will not effect your processing times. hope this is helpful

Thanks! My GC says "legal resident since 04/../2003" which means it has been about 4 years. I know I got my GC 6-7 months after I got my work permit. In order to apply for the N-400, does one have to wait for at least 5 years from the date on the GC? Or can one apply earlier? Thanks.

With no special circumstances (marriage to a citizen, military service) you are eligible to naturalize after 5 years of permanent residence (i.e., 5 years after your GC date).

You can apply 90 days (not 3 months) early - though this list usually recommends you wait several days to a week beyond that date. Even if you apply early, you will need to have the full 5 years go by before you take the oath.