N-400 Application - Filing - Questions

leo_gemini

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

I have a few questions related N-400 application, some general and some specific to my situation. Hope I will get some clarifications here.

1) I will be completing 4 years and 9 months this coming May 15 2007 since got my green card. Can I apply after 4 years and 9 months, or I have to wait to complete the full 5 years. (Even if file after 4 years and 9 months, will the Priority date be given based on 5 year completion).

2) I have a few traffic tickets (all speeding violations, and have paid fine), should I request the VA fairfax court to give me receipts for those fine payments? Or, can I print the information that I get from online fine payment website?

3) I am getting engaged this coming September, my would-be is from India. Parents are already asking my consent for marriage this coming December. Regarding marriage, should I have to wait till I get my citizenship? Or, if I get married before my citizenship is processed, should I have to update the application?

Thanks

1) You can apply for your N-400 90 days before your PR date. Don't go by months, but by exact days. Anything under 90 days you can submit the N-400. So no you don't have to wait to apply at exactly 5 years.

2) If your tickets didn't involve drugs or alcohol and weren't over $500 (each instance) then you don't need to report them. If you really are concerned about them, then you can, but you'll then need to track down all the court information and that on them. Most do not and it is not a problem unless they meet either of the above 2 conditions.

3) Not sure about this one, I think it would be a lot easier to do it when you are a citizen, however, you won't know how long that will take as everyone has a different time line. So if you can wait a year that would be great, if not, then I guess you could just try it with the green card. Not sure how much more difficult that is though...

1. Don't cut the 90 days too close, wait at week after whatever day you calculate before you sign and send in the application. It appears that the USCIS has their own calendar mechanisms. In any case, you will need to wait until 5 years have passed before you can take the oath.
  2. No one on this list (or, it seems, in the rest of the world) agrees about this. As Warlord says, even if you don't list them on your application, you should be ready (with a list of tickets, with dispositions, etc) by the time you get to the interview. I listed my tickets under the "citations" question (on the advice of an immigration lawyer).
  3. No idea