• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My way to get Green Card

borya

Registered Users (C)
Dear All,

I just want to draw overview of my way to get Green Card. A lot of fruitful discussion can be found in the thread that I established in the last year, http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=192619 under name of Winner of DV2006. Adjustment of status (F1 visa).

Several thinks I would like to mention:

First of all, there were a lot of thinks dedicated to the question of having lawyer or not. I did everything by myself based only on this forum, I am deeply agree that there is no need to pay money for preparing forms and other thinks for the adjusting of status.
Secondly, I started adjusting of status way beyond 3 months before my case number became current. Probably, if one has case number not “big”, it is really does not matter when to start sending documents.
Many people prefer to make CP instead of AOS. I would probably choose the same, but I am PhD student and I could not go at home since I had many thinks to do. AOS was the best choice for me.
Finally, I hope DV lottery will not be canceled in the nearest future. I wish very best luck to everybody who ever will decide to “play”. “If you do not bet you will never win”

Borya.
:)

Hi Borya,

Congratulations for successfully going through the AOS process. I’m sure it feels great to be done and actually have the card with you, doesn’t it?

For the passport photographs required for the interview by the Chicago office, did you take with you ADIT-style passport photographs (passports with the head tilted so that the right side of the face can show more) as stated on the appointment notice, or you just took regular passport photographs (without the head tilted)?

Thanks,
Dmmapril

DmmApril,

USCIS actually changed the photo requirements. Since 2004 they require a full frontal face picture…

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/04_08_02Photo_flyer.pdf

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/04_08_02photo_release.pdf

Since your local USCIS is asking for the old style pictures, I would take two sets of photos, one with the head tilted (three-quarter face position) and another with you looking straight to the camera (full frontal face).

For our interview, we took pictures with us (full frontal face) even though there was no mention of pictures in our notice. The officer did not ask for pictures either so I decided to ask him if he needed our pictures. He said that we had already submitted pictures with our AOS applications so they were already on file. Also, he said, the picture used for the green card is the one that is taken when you do the biometrics.

marvadur

Congratulations!!!
I have a quick question: how did you find out that you have been granted a permanent resident status? on line? or you've got a letter?

Thanks,
Wish you all the best!

to marvadur,

Wow, that's incredible!!! The fastest AOS procedure I've ever heard of.
I'm so happy for you and your whole family. Congratulations! :)
Has your online status changed yet?
I almost forgot to ask, did you wear a formal outfit for the interview or casual one?

Thanks,

greg_dv2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Zaryun and Greg. We are indeed really happy. I’m still getting used to the idea that we’ve finally gotten our green cards. I agree with you Greg that our AOS was super fast and I hope it happens the same way to all of you in this forum :)

Regarding your questions,

How did you find out that you have been granted a permanent resident status? on line? or you've got a letter? We received a letter, a notice of action, saying that our application for permanent residence had been granted. The notice date is March 20, 2006.

Has your online status changed yet? Yes, it changed already. It says: On March 23, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

Did you wear a formal outfit for the interview or casual one? We wore casual outfit.

Why did some of you send the form DSP to KCC and then with the return letter applied for AOS. I haven't done that and now I'm beggining to think that maybe is a problem. Could you please let me know?

alincosma

It is absolutly nessesary to send the form, if i remember correct, it is DSP 129 (?) to KCC. In their first letter it was mentioned you have to send them the form.
Immediatly after (in July 05) I called their number and they told me that I have to send the form, wait for their second letter approving that I am applying for AOS, wait for my number to become current, or close to it and submit I-485.
You need two (!!) letters from KCC to submit to USCIS.

I would call KCC and explain them what happened, becouse I think if you do not reply to their first Congratulations letter, they think you do not want to proceed with the GC.

I might be wrong, I am not a profesional lawyer!

zaryun,

don't confuse him that much. I don't know how much important is to send DSP-122 to KCC, but i think he can proceed it without that form. USCIS might request information from KCC, but this is not a problem. It was very important to pay Diversity Visa fee before he filed.

I have already applied for AOS should I send the form now? If yes what should I do with the return letter. I already paid the fee before sending the papers for AOS. Nobody I talked to told me about sending this form and I saw two immigration lawyers in the past couple of months. I'm verry stressed out right now about this. Maybe this is why I didn't hear anything about the FP appointment from them.

alincosma,

don't worry about that form. You have an infopass apointment date, right?

I cancel it because I decided to wait 8 weeks before making inquires. Someone said on this forum that it takes before 2 to 8 weeks to get the FP appointment. I'm going to write an e-mail to KCC and explain to hole deal see what they have to say about this. Thank you very much for all the support.

After 30 days if u haven't heard anything from USCIS u should make and appointment or call to them. I suggest u to make an appointment.

Thank you hmz for your support.
I'm gonna call KCC Monday, see what they have to say about the fact that I didn't send the form , Then if I still have to send the form I'll send it and when they reply to me I'll make an infopass, in case my FP appointment is still unknown. Like this I'll be able to have the reply from KCC with me.
I called twice the national line but they keep telling me that in Detroit right now they process cases from November last year and I have to wait some more. If I make an infopass appointment I'll ask to speak with an immigration office. From borya's case I understood that KCC have to send some info to local immigration office so maybe the fact that I didn't send the form is slowing that. I did send the payment though with the case number but I didn't put a copy of the receipt with my file, all these toghether may be the cause off all my problems.
What's bothering me is that 2 and I repeat 2 immigration lawyers told me that I don't have to send anything to KCC, and more last year in July after I got the notification I had an infopass and they said the same thing , nothing to KCC just apply for AOS when my number is current.So if something goes wrong is my fault I guess. I should have researched better.

The best way to figure it out is to make an infopass appointment. On the phone, they say nothing.

I'm calling tomorow KCC see what they say. Now I'm a bit afrait to go for an infoopass because I heard that they might loose your file if they pull it from the stack to check the info.

alincosma said:
I'm calling tomorow KCC see what they say. Now I'm a bit afrait to go for an infoopass because I heard that they might loose your file if they pull it from the stack to check the info.

Why would they loose your file? During infopass, they will give you information from the computer not from physical file. They don’t pull the file from stack for checking information.

Good Luck

today I called KCC, I talked to a woman, she told me that it is not necessary to send the DSP 122 , she checked up my case then she said that my case has been transfered to Detroit's office and I should be inquiring them about the second notice. So I guess I'm fine. Then I called again, I was just curious when they sent my info to Detroit , I talked to another lady who told me that they send my info when the Detroit office request it. Friday I wrote them an e-mail and today I got a respons, but is a standard respons from what I can tell , and yes in this e-mail they said they request to send the DSP 122.

winner2006 another member of this forum is also from Detroit and he applied a week or so before me and he is in the same situation like me. Could be the office slow? I'll wait two more weeks and if I receive nothing i'll go on infopass.
Thank you all for the support.