My Recent TN Experience

jsmd

Wanted go provide a quick update update of my experience. I applied at a land border. The entire process took a total of 45 minutes.

Questions asked:
-Is your employer the same or different?
-When will you start?
-Are you still currently working for your previous employer?
-Tell me about what you will be doing? (Officer followed-up by asking how the duties will be relevant to occupational category being applied for)
-Will you be working in a team?

Things to note:
I was in the US prior to application, did a flagpole. No COVID testing needed from either side of the border. My TN package was provided by immigration attorneys that are partnered with my company. Please do note to thoroughly work with them during this process. I have made several recommendations for changes to the document (all of which would have potentially failing at obtaining my TN today - those specific details were asked by the reviewing officer).

The officer was friendly and we were cracking jokes the entire time. Very positive experience.

I hope my experiences provides some reassurance to others. I was a nervous wreck (without reason) prior to this thinking the worst could happen.

Huge thanks to @nelsona, @Cadmium, and @LMBrian for their guidance in other treads.

Good luck everyone!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am planning to go to the border next month to change my status from TN to F2. I am already living in the US and hoping to go to the "Hill Island" border. My question is there a way to directly go the the US side without having to cross the Canadian border? I remember one of the officers mentioned this when I got TN visa (then I was on F2 and living in the US), which was kind of new to me. Thank you

Last edited:
Do you mean F2 to TN?
Regardless, AFAIK you must cross into Canada in order to see the US border patrol officers. It’s a really smooth process, just tell them you are there for TN(?), or that you’re planning to flagpole.

Of course, call beforehand to verify that both borders will accept this (and they should).

I don’t know enough about other visas to speak generally. But if it’s the same process as TN, the above is correct.

Best of luck!

My TN package was provided by immigration attorneys that are partnered with my company. Please do note to thoroughly work with them during this process. I have made several recommendations for changes to the document (all of which would have potentially failing at obtaining my TN today - those specific details were asked by the reviewing officer).
not at all surprised. That matches my experience with most lawyers hired by corporations to work on my TN applications.

not at all surprised. That matches my experience with most lawyers hired by corporations to work on my TN applications.
Same here. Currently going through the process and the employer‘s lawyers sent me the draft of the Support letter with literally the job posting description pasted in without changing anything. I was so shocked - if I didn’t know any better, didn’t do my own research and havent had prior experience with small firm lawyers, that letter would have gotten denied.

i essentially rewrote the description for them and sent it back - now fingers crossed they are good with the revision.

glad this is not an uncommon problem ... I guess these big corporate lawyers just don’t care as much and might not have as much experience with TNs...

Will be nice to know which POE. I'm going to renew and will use the Rainbow Bridge POE. Anyone who can share their experience lately using this POE?