My recent Canada landing & H1B stamping experience

kpparvathaneni

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,
I am listing below my recent Canada landing process (June 8th 2004) as well as H1 B stamping process in Ottawa (June 10th 2004).
Since my H1 B visa in the passport has expired, I planned to do my H1 B stamping also in Canada:

Canada Landing process:
I booked one-way bus tickets for me and my wife from New York Port Authority bus terminal to Toronto, fare was US$160 for both the tickets. But, in Buffalo I was asked to get down by the Canadian bus driver (who is also a Canadian Customs officer; bus drivers change in Buffalo) and catch a taxi and go to the Peace Bridge point of entry in Canada, since they do not allow the landing process by bus (He said that he would pick us up at the point of entry after the immigration process, as the bus was scheduled to stop for some more time at the Buffalo bus terminal). The Peace Bridge point of entry was 4 miles from the Buffalo bus terminal and we took a taxi and went there.
Upon arrival at the point of entry, we were asked to go to the Immigration office. There a lady officer interviewed me. I showed her my Passport and Landing papers. Then she asked me a few questions.
a) Is this your first time landing?
Yes
b) How long have you been in the United States?
For more than 5 yrs
c) Are you going to stay in Canada?
For a few weeks; after this, I will go back to USA and return after my H1 B period. Still I have 8 months of H1 visa left. Since I was running out of time for the Canadian landing process, I am landing now.
She seemed to be Ok with all my answers. After that she just explained some Canadian permanent residence rules. She asked me how much money I was bringing. I told her the amount and she noted on the landing paper. Nothing to worry about; she stamped on my landing paper, as well as my wife’s. She told that we will receive our PR cards in 3-4 weeks. The lady officer was cool and nothing to worry about, just some regular questions. Then she asked me to go to the Customs desk.
The customs officer asked if I was bringing in any goods with me now. I told him that right now, I am not bringing any goods and I gave him the list of goods to follow. He asked me how much I am bringing cash. I told him that I am bringing US$8700($8000 banker’s check + $700 cash). After that, he gave me the Goods accounting receipt with the Customs stamp. Even the customs process is cool, nothing to worry about. With this, I was done with my Canada Landing process. In the mean-while, the same bus arrived at the Immigration office and we got down in Toronto. The whole immigration & customs process took around 20-25 minutes.

H1 B stamping process:
We stayed in a hotel in Ottawa downtown (CAD$100/night), since the US embassy was in walking distance from the hotel. I had my interview at 9:30 AM. I reached the embassy and at the security I was asked to show the appointment letter. Upon showing, I was sent inside and there was the regular security screening inside. After that, I was asked to go through another door, where a lady checked my appointment letter again and she asked me if I had the US$ 100 application fee. I said yes and she asked me go to the Cash counter. The person at the Cash counter asked for the set of documents as well as the US$100 application fee. I gave him the following documents properly arranged (DS-156 form, DS-157 form, Employer letter, I-797, I-129, LCA, 3 recent pay stubs) and he asked me to pay US$100. I paid the cash and he asked to me take a seat and wait till I am called. After 10 minutes, my name was called by a lady officer. I walked to her and greeted her; she asked me the following questions.
a) What do you do?
I am a Programmer Analyst
b) Do you have the employer’s letter that lists your work responsibilities, when your H-1 was filed?
Oh, I am sorry; I did not bring that letter.
c) Can you please explain what you do?
I explained my roles and responsibilities briefly.
d) How long have you been with this company?
Since Jan 2004
d) How many employees are there in your company?
I told her the number of employees
e) Who is your previous employer?
I told her the name of my previous company
g) How long were you on H1 B?
For 5 years.
h) Did you get your finger printing done before?
No
She then took my finger prints.

She was cool and then she was telling that since I am not a Canadian immigrant, I have to pay US$ 50 reciprocity fee. At that point, I interrupted her and told that I am a Canadian landed immigrant and I landed just 2 days back. She then checked my landing paper and said that this would save me US$ 50. I thanked her and then she returned my original documents. She then gave me a receipt and asked me to come at 3 PM and collect my passport. I thanked her once again and left. I returned to the embassy at 3 PM and upon showing the receipt, the security guard gave me my passport with the new H1 B visa stamped in the passport.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, please post and I will try to answer as much as I can.

Are we going to get a New I-94?

If we travel by Road while entering into US can we get a new I-94?. Or we need to travel by flight to get a new I-94. I need to get a new I-94.

H1-B stamp

Hi,
Congratulations!!!
We also have a plan of doing same thing.My husband has to get his H-1B 7th year stamped & I will get my first H-1B stamp + will do landing formalities.

quick quetsion-> did u had US or Indian degree
Did u had any background check!!!!!

CAn u forward ur email id, if we want to check some details withyou!!

Thanks!!!!
Help will be appreciated!
Mona

Canada PR and F1 to H1 Visa stamping

Hi
Congratulations and thank you very much for taking time to describe your Canada landing and H1 stamping experiance in detail.

I have very simillar situation as yours and i'd appreciate if i can get some information on couple of issues.

I got Canadain landing visa on my passport and as a final step i need to land in canada by August 11, 2004. I came to US on F1 and i changed my status to H1 in January 2004. At present i'm working and i need to come back to US as soon as possible upon completion of canada PR process.

I got an appointment at Ottawa consulate on 9th august at 10 am. I have applied for visa stamping for my self and my wife. I have one of my friends in Toronto so planning to give his address as my canada's address.

I have 2 questions:

1/ I filled I-156 online for myself but there is no option to fill I-156 for my wife.

2/ I got an appointment at Ottawa but i'm planning to give my residance address of Toronto at canada border. Is that going to be an issue? I'm concerned about it as there is a specific instruction on NVARS website that "canadian residance needs to apply on their own residancy area"

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Regards
Anish
ani561@yahoo.com

Hi,
Congratulations to you as well for getting Canadian Immigration.
We need to land Canada by 15Feb, 2005. We are also on the same boat-Me & my husband is also on H-1B, & we need to get our PP-Stamped with H-1B along with Canadian visa…

We also have exactly the same question as yours & trying to find our some solution for this…sorry at this point of time can’t give you any suggestion.

There is one more issue:
Once you get your Canada PR stamped, then you are a Canadian Residence, then from which consulate will you get your. H-1 stamped??

I would really appreciate if you can share your experience with us.

Thanks ,
Mona

What to show at border after PR card issued (I mean in the 2nd visit) + 1 Q for Mona.

I would like to ask the following questions:

1-Can I get a tourist visa after my passport was stamped with the PR or I can only land as an immigrant paying the landing fees, transferring the money and starting to pay rent? (I would like to fly for some interviews, before doing the definite moving).

2-Once I get the PR stamp in my passport, and I land in Canada, if I want to be back in US -after having with me in USA the Canada PR card- , whenever I cross to Canada in future for job interviews, visits, etc (once I have the plastic PR with me), do I have to show, at the Canadian border, the Passport + PR card, or just the PR card will be enough? Is there any difference as for this in case I am crossing by land or by air?
-------

Mona: 3-I am interested in what you said about being your spouse in his 7th year in US under H-1B and you having a new H-1B. I know that all the non immigrant time combined: Student, Spouse, Worker cannot cross 6 years and 7 if you have a GC under process, can you tell me how you could manage to get an H-1,

-----------
thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My husband for 7th Year extesnion on the basis of his GC filed ( it more than 365 days limit).

I have my H-1b which is only ( 1 1/2 year old).I came on H-4 & then got a job is changed my status from H-4 to H-1.

I hope it helps!

Thanks,
mona

First time H1B stamping in Canada

Hello, It was nice to know your canada landing process as well as H1B stamping.
Our canadian immigration is also on the way. Presently we have been asked to submit our passports for immigrant visa. i would like to ask if you happen to know that once we get our immigration, can I get my H1B visa stamped on my passport from canada. This would be my first H1B visa. I entered US on H4 and then got my status changed to H1B. I have the original I 797 and new I 94.
You can also mark a cc of this reply to ektanit@yahoo.com.

Helpful for all

Your experience is helpful for everyone who are planning to land in Canada.
But my case is little diffrent and I have a question for you. I have landed in Canada on July 2001. I went to my country and came back to Canada by plane.No problem so far. I made an appoinment with American consulate in Canada for H1B stamping with non refundable $400 dollar ($100 for each family member).But they didn't give me H1B stamp. Didn't return my money.
They said I don't need any visa to go to USA as I am a permanent resident in Canada. But after a while they changed the rule. Now a Canadian Permanent resident needs US visa to enter US from Canada. I couldn't take the risk and didn't go to Canada since then. Now I am planning to go back permanently as I don't have hope for my Labor Certificate.

My question for you, do you know if I can still enter into Canada after all these years with the PR status I obtained on 10/30/200? I landed on 07/18/2001.

kpparvathaneni said:
Hi everybody,
I am listing below my recent Canada landing process (June 8th 2004) as well as H1 B stamping process in Ottawa (June 10th 2004).
Since my H1 B visa in the passport has expired, I planned to do my H1 B stamping also in Canada:

nohope_for_lc said:
Your experience is helpful for everyone who are planning to land in Canada.
But my case is little diffrent and I have a question for you. I have landed in Canada on July 2001. I went to my country and came back to Canada by plane.No problem so far. I made an appoinment with American consulate in Canada for H1B stamping with non refundable $400 dollar ($100 for each family member).But they didn't give me H1B stamp. Didn't return my money.
They said I don't need any visa to go to USA as I am a permanent resident in Canada. But after a while they changed the rule. Now a Canadian Permanent resident needs US visa to enter US from Canada. I couldn't take the risk and didn't go to Canada since then. Now I am planning to go back permanently as I don't have hope for my Labor Certificate.

My question for you, do you know if I can still enter into Canada after all these years with the PR status I obtained on 10/30/200? I landed on 07/18/2001.

Hi,
1. What is your current location and status?
2. Your landing date is 07/18/2001,
so do you have a PR card to Go back to Canada?
3. If you do not have a PR card, you can not go to Canada
BUT you can apply for a "Returning Resident Permit"
and only after getting that you can get into Canada.

Now;here are the caveats;

- Date of Landing is 07/18/2001
- So 5 year terms is ending 07/17/2006 -
So you have only about 9 months (apprx) left in your 5 year period. provided that you are allowed to go back to Canada.

Now calucualte exactly how many days you were in Canada during all the time ever since you first landed.

As per residency obligations and rules you must be physically present for
763 days in Canada in a 5 year period.

When you come to the post of entry the officer will first look at all these points. and see if you are allowed then you still have sufficient time to fulfil the Residency obligations.
If found that you do not have suffiicient time left then you will not be allowed in the first place to enter Canada.

How ever please consult an expert immigration awyer on these kind of questions.

Good luck

5 year terms is ending 07/17/2006 or 10/30/2005 ????

:confused: Are you sure my term is ending on 07/17/2006. I thought 5 year terms starts from the day you get your PR. I got mine on 10/30/2000. I am in Boston.Working with H1B. Waiotting for labor. I am not even sure if I should go to Canada or wait for LC here. Anyway thanks for your suggession.I am applying for "Temporary Travel Document" to find out my status.

naudurivsm said:
Hi,
1. What is your current location and status?
2. Your landing date is 07/18/2001,
so do you have a PR card to Go back to Canada?
3. If you do not have a PR card, you can not go to Canada
BUT you can apply for a "Returning Resident Permit"
and only after getting that you can get into Canada.

Visa By mail for stamping in canada

Can I get a Canada Visa if I send my documents to the New York Embassy by mail. Can someone tell me what all documents needs to be mailed ?

According to me the following needs to be mailed
1-passport
2-bank statement
3-employer offer letter
4-check
5-photo

Thanks

kpparvathaneni said:
Hi everybody,

Canada Landing process:
I booked one-way bus tickets for me and my wife from New York Port Authority bus terminal to Toronto, fare was US$160 for both the tickets. But, in Buffalo I was asked to get down by the Canadian bus driver (who is also a Canadian Customs officer; bus drivers change in Buffalo) and catch a taxi and go to the Peace Bridge point of entry in Canada, since they do not allow the landing process by bus (He said that he would pick us up at the point of entry after the immigration process, as the bus was scheduled to stop for some more time at the Buffalo bus terminal). The Peace Bridge point of entry was 4 miles from the Buffalo bus terminal and we took a taxi and went there.
Upon arrival at the point of entry, we were asked to go to the Immigration office. There a lady officer interviewed me. I showed her my Passport and Landing papers. Then she asked me a few questions.
a) Is this your first time landing?
Yes
b) How long have you been in the United States?
For more than 5 yrs
c) Are you going to stay in Canada?
For a few weeks; after this, I will go back to USA and return after my H1 B period. Still I have 8 months of H1 visa left. Since I was running out of time for the Canadian landing process, I am landing now.
She seemed to be Ok with all my answers. After that she just explained some Canadian permanent residence rules. She asked me how much money I was bringing. I told her the amount and she noted on the landing paper. Nothing to worry about; she stamped on my landing paper, as well as my wife’s. She told that we will receive our PR cards in 3-4 weeks. The lady officer was cool and nothing to worry about, just some regular questions. Then she asked me to go to the Customs desk.
The customs officer asked if I was bringing in any goods with me now. I told him that right now, I am not bringing any goods and I gave him the list of goods to follow. He asked me how much I am bringing cash. I told him that I am bringing US$8700($8000 banker’s check + $700 cash). After that, he gave me the Goods accounting receipt with the Customs stamp. Even the customs process is cool, nothing to worry about. With this, I was done with my Canada Landing process. In the mean-while, the same bus arrived at the Immigration office and we got down in Toronto. The whole immigration & customs process took around 20-25 minutes.

H1 B stamping process:
We stayed in a hotel in Ottawa downtown (CAD$100/night), since the US embassy was in walking distance from the hotel. I had my interview at 9:30 AM. I reached the embassy and at the security I was asked to show the appointment letter. Upon showing, I was sent inside and there was the regular security screening inside. After that, I was asked to go through another door, where a lady checked my appointment letter again and she asked me if I had the US$ 100 application fee. I said yes and she asked me go to the Cash counter. The person at the Cash counter asked for the set of documents as well as the US$100 application fee. I gave him the following documents properly arranged (DS-156 form, DS-157 form, Employer letter, I-797, I-129, LCA, 3 recent pay stubs) and he asked me to pay US$100. I paid the cash and he asked to me take a seat and wait till I am called. After 10 minutes, my name was called by a lady officer. I walked to her and greeted her; she asked me the following questions.
a) What do you do?
I am a Programmer Analyst
b) Do you have the employer’s letter that lists your work responsibilities, when your H-1 was filed?
Oh, I am sorry; I did not bring that letter.
c) Can you please explain what you do?
I explained my roles and responsibilities briefly.
d) How long have you been with this company?
Since Jan 2004
d) How many employees are there in your company?
I told her the number of employees
e) Who is your previous employer?
I told her the name of my previous company
g) How long were you on H1 B?
For 5 years.
h) Did you get your finger printing done before?
No
She then took my finger prints.

She was cool and then she was telling that since I am not a Canadian immigrant, I have to pay US$ 50 reciprocity fee. At that point, I interrupted her and told that I am a Canadian landed immigrant and I landed just 2 days back. She then checked my landing paper and said that this would save me US$ 50. I thanked her and then she returned my original documents. She then gave me a receipt and asked me to come at 3 PM and collect my passport. I thanked her once again and left. I returned to the embassy at 3 PM and upon showing the receipt, the security guard gave me my passport with the new H1 B visa stamped in the passport.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, please post and I will try to answer as much as I can.

Did you request the Visa officer for same day return of your stamped Passport? Plz let me know.

Can you tell,how