My "Name Check" is still pending

Clueless123

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I can't believe that I'm back here again after 5 years! I frequented here while I applied for GC over 5 years ago. Now I need help with my citizenship application :)

Here's a summary:

Receipt date: 5/22/2008
Priority date: 5/22/2008
Finger print (FP) date: 6/20/2008

A friend of mine who got FP done on 5/20/2008 already had interview about a month ago and is waiting for a sworn-in ceremony.

I feel that there is a delay in my "name check". Because I'm unable to find out about the status of my application, I'll always wonder if the letter was lost in the mail.

Anyone can tell me how I can find out about my status? When is a reasonable time for me to get my interview appointment?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I can't believe that I'm back here again after 5 years! I frequented here while I applied for GC over 5 years ago. Now I need help with my citizenship application :)

Here's a summary:

Receipt date: 5/22/2008
Priority date: 5/22/2008
Finger print (FP) date: 6/20/2008

A friend of mine who got FP done on 5/20/2008 already had interview about a month ago and is waiting for a sworn-in ceremony.

I feel that there is a delay in my "name check". Because I'm unable to find out about the status of my application, I'll always wonder if the letter was lost in the mail.

Anyone can tell me how I can find out about my status? When is a reasonable time for me to get my interview appointment?

Thanks!

Hard to tell. It depends on the FBI, then the Service Center (SC) and the District Office (DO). Why ? Because, sometimes the FBI says it's done and then USCIS doesn't update it on their end and viceversa.

It could be 3 months or 6 or 9 months. Nobody really knows !!!:D

Name check is the major issue which contributes to the inconsistent processing times. The USCIS will only schedule interview after all background checks have been completed. The time it takes for NC clearance varies a lot from person to person. Some got cleared within three days, some lasted for many years. Therefore you cannot accurately predict the timing of your case simply by comparing with your friend's case. Your friend's NC goes through smoothly does not necessarily mean yours will be the same.

The NC process is the bottleneck, not the processing of USCIS.

I scheduled an appointment with immigration officer via InfoPass, and learned that my name check was cleared on Sept 30. They told me that I was in line to get my interview letter.

Does it take a long time for them to send out an interview letter?

After name check, if they find a spot in your DO, 10-15 days normally is what I have read. But, then again, this process is erratic. Nobody knows its time with precision.

Hi All,

FYI, I got my Interview Letter on Oct 20.

However, I can't make it because it would be right in the middle of a two-weeks' trip I had planned for a long time.

This is "Murphy's Law"!

I requested to reschedule the interview. See when they'll schedule it for next time...

Clueless,

Congratulations! However I would re-schedule my trip, not my interview, if I were you.

By the way, DO = District Office (Your local USCIS office where your interview will be conducted)

rick92,

Curious about something on your timeline..."Senator Schumer Response 9/25/08 - No solution to Name Check". What does that mean? YOur line above that shows that your name check clearned on 9/19/08. How did you find that out?

rick92,

Curious about something on your timeline..."Senator Schumer Response 9/25/08 - No solution to Name Check". What does that mean? YOur line above that shows that your name check clearned on 9/19/08. How did you find that out?

desperate4Natz,

I found out that my name check was cleared on 9/30/08 from an immigration officer during an appointment I scheduled via InfoPass.

Now things have taken a turn -

My family were upset that I was willing to delay my interview due to a trip.

Therefore, I changed my mind and went back to DO today. I had a walk-in appointment set up and waited for 2 hours before I was able to speak to an immigration officer (IO).

She (IO) had me write a letter to indicate my intention to keep my interview date as November 17, and request that they ignore the request I made yesterday. She told me to wait for a letter in the mail about their decision (either they still can keep the appointment or not).

Now this is in the hands of God whether I can get a letter before Nov, 10, my planned travel date, about if they can keep the interview appointment or not...