My Landing Experience and revalidation

Jigyaasa

Registered Users (C)
Although in the original application I filled up entry point Toronto, I recently entered with family thru Seattle/Vancouver by Rental car on April 23rd. The Border post guy asked simple questions - Are you carrying money more than US Dollar 10K? Are you carrying any arms etc.? Are you carrying any drugs etc? He gave a stamped form and asked us to report to immigration office few yards away.
In Immigration office - the lady clerk took the form, the immigration papers, passport, asked if I am carrying money written here and filled up the figure herself-- (didn’t check money physically). I didn’t carry any traveler checks or drafts etc. (If you want to take traveler check AAA issues without any service charges). She asked to initial and sign at couple of places on the form. After reading photo problems in few threads I was careful and asked myself if they can take new pictures. They took the new pictures without any hesitation or charges. I used my friend’s address in Toronto for the PR Card. They did not take our I-94 cards because they knew we are working in US. Next they asked us to report to Customs for the items to follow. A few yards away only the office is situated. Officer asked us to write details of the items - color, size, weight, shape and dollar value.
As advised in the threads I took rental car. I had Jewelry - they took instant pictures. I had cameras- they wrote down the serial numbers. Other items which can be transported back and forth like my laptop was recorded on a green sheet and a copy was given to me. Everything was smooth.
Next day we went to Driver Public Services office. They don't make driver license without real PR Card. (things might be different on Toronto side). They do make if you have original birth certificate (They don’t accept secondary school one). They told us that California license is good for three months in Canada. Next we went to HRDC center for SIN card. They issued us SIN card without any number but told us that it is good if we want to take job. Since I added my daughter's name later, her number didn’t come in the computer- but the clerk told us -she is putting info in computer and probably everything should be ok.
Health card cannot be applied because they are province based and we gave Toronto Address. Also there is monthly premium to be paid, which we don't want as we are not moving there right now. It can be applied online or by mail, unlike in Toronto where the picture is required I guess.
Checking Account in banks can be opened there but we could not find any bank, which does not charge monthly fee. Most of the banks are on both east as well as west coast unlike here in US. Scotia Bank has branch in San Francisco and that would be a better choice.
As I changed employer last year, my new visa was not stamped in the passport. I took appointment.
They gave me new form 156 (The one available online is obsolete), ask me to fill up detailed addresses of the schools I attended in form 157, took $100 US dollars (only US CURRENCY IS ACCEPTED), took employer letter, glanced at latest pay stub.
They did charge me $75 reciprocal fee also (there was confusion among officers to charge or not, but finally they charged). Gave back stamped passport at 3 p.m. same day.
Coming back next day Hotel person advised us to get GST back by filling up one form and mailing it to tax office. No need of stamping from custom office.
At the US border entering, the checking clerk said auto revalidation is still good and if the I-94 is valid for more time no need to get new one.
Lesson from Car Rental: - I was eligible for the free double upgrade for car rental, which the Hertz people did not honor. The guy told us that he is out of cars where as he was giving it to rest of the people. Next time when I'll go to the counter I won't disclose the reservation first and would check for the car. The clerks have commission for selling upgrades and other features/services. You can rent Canada plate car if you have Canada card but getting US plate is good as traffic police is more lenient to the tourist for mistakes.

Superb! This is one of the best posts I've ever read on this site!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks jigyaasa... one quick question

Very good and detailed post.

just to confirm what you mentioned.

they do stamp visa in your passport when you return to US, dont they?

My wife wants to stamp her passport with J1 visa when she returns
to USA from canada.

thanks in advance

You should take appointment at US Consulate. They give three weeks later date for appointment(normally). But they do stamp passport with visa. Stamping is not done at the border. At the border only I-94 are made (if needed). Please fillup form 157 with hand as in pdf it does not print complete details but they want to have complete details of addresses of educational institute, residences etc.
Good luck...

Jigyaasa

Hi,

I am Indian Citizen, Canadian Landed Immigrant, living and working in US. I have stamped F1 VIsa valid till 2005. Approved H1 from INS. I-94 Valid till 2006. I want to go to Canada to apply for PR Card for not more than 2-3 days. I am not willing to apply for VISA Stamping @ US consulate, Canada, I am just scared if my application for VISA Stamping get rejected. After reading a couple of postings in this forum, I got the impression that US Consulate @ canada do stamp the visa.

Can I cross US-Canada border under Automatic Visa Revalidation ? Will I be able come back US ?

Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

Udupi

Since you are landed immigrant in Canada, you'll have no problem in getting visa stamping in passport. If you wouldnot have had landed immigrant status they might have asked you to apply in your home country. But now since Canada is considered your home country, they won't say anything or raise any objection. Also, since you had education in US they give respect to that fact.

Since your stamped f1 is for longer time and your I-94 is valid
you can cross borders back and forth without any problem.
Relax and enjoy your visit....

Jigyaasa

Hi,

Thank you Jigyaasa. I appreciate your timely response.

I was just worried, since I am still living in US, though I have accepted Canadian Permanent Residency. I was also worried about change in status in US (now H1) and VISA stamp (F1).

Your response gave me some courage to try for stamping too. Now I will try for visa stamping.

Thanks Again.

Udupi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Udupi,

I too am in a similar situation like yours. I will be a Canadian landed immigrant and plan to be get my H1-b stamped (from F1) in Canada ( i plan to stay for a few days). Please post your experiences and opinions for the stamping process for a landed immigrant.

Thanks in advance,

Pappu