My H1 is expired

urgentgc

Registered Users (C)
I have completed first 3 years in US and my H1 is getting expired very soon. My company is trying to save money by not applying for my H1 extension. They are asking me to come on EAD. Should i insist on H1 extension? Please reply its urgent

--urgentgc

most companies are doing that

it is better to be on H1 as it would get extended for 2-3 years but most companies are just doing EAD in these cases .Also probably it has become difficult as well to make a case for H1 in this economy ...

Go ahead and insist on H1 extension, if they listen to u.

But again, if u r married and don't have any issues with wife's H4 etc, then maybe EAD could be a better choice but again its u'r call.

Depends on your circumstance. You can insist on H1 if you really need like if you are unmarried and planning to get married so that your spouse can get H4 else it really does not matter whether you're on H1 or EAD.

Thanks for the reply

I appreciate your inputs on this. FYI i am married and my wife is here with an EAD(never used).
My employer just confimed that they won't apply for H1 extension. So i have to keep my finger crossed till i get the GC and then i would be a free bird.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
--urgentgc

urgentgc, I think EAD should be a better option for you because you can change your employer at any time using AC21 and I think this should be in your favour. But then you have to decide.
And as far as the reverse is concerned well that risk is always there whether it is H1 or EAD.