my experience with USPS

jaykarandikar

Registered Users (C)
Guys, I dont know if its just me, but I have had this experience with USPS twice.

First when I was living in Austin, TX, USPS delivered my first fingerprint notice to a complete stranger. The address on the notice was correctly typed. The person to whom this was delivered lived in a completely diff neighbourhood, @ 15 mins drive from my apt.
I was lucky that that guy called me, asked me to come to his home to pick up my notice.
Though both me and the this other person were desi, there was no resemblance in our names whatsoever.

Right now I am in Orlando, and on 09/23/2003, we received my wife's EAD receipt notice. It has our correct address, and it has a postal stamp of 08/27/2003 from the Lincoln, NE office. We had applied for her EAD renewal on 08/22.
I was about to call BCIS to tell them that we have not received the ead renewal notice, but I finally received it.
So basically USPS took a month to deliver a mail in this case. Kind of surprising.

We are worst hit by USPS. The saga

My wifes cousin while coming from India, brought the original "Non-availability of Birth Registration" document. He mailed it to us using a registered mail from Seattle to Overland Park KS. The lazy mail person in the zipcode 66212 (delibrately) dropped "we missed you" card in our mail box.

Since we have only one car, and I work in the downtown, nobody could go to pick the mail. My wife is always at home taking care of our sick baby. We called USPS and informed, that somebody is always at home, so can deliver to the person at home. USPS office in zipcode 66212 confired that they would deliver the mail at home.

Third day, what ever happened, a second we missed you card was dropped in a different mail box. Who ever recieved it, picked up the mail from USPS office. USPS says by mistake they did not verify any ID.

In short, we lost the original document from Mucipal corporation.
Luckily my father-in-law made a copy before sending it to us. We filed 485 with a xerox copy and affidavits.

We wanted to get one more copy of the same. We approached the municipal corporation in AP. Another major mistake. Our stars are not good. The municipal corportaion in AP, sent a copy of the non-availability of birth to births and deaths registrar for filing purpose. The births and deaths registrar, by mistake registered the birth and put the registration date as current (i.e, 30 yrs after birth). Now we are unable to get non-availability of birth certificate. Municipal corporation is inisisting us to take the birth certificate instead of non-availability certifcate.
We got stuck.

The only partial proof of lost document I have is:
(1) written complaint letter to USPS
(2) certified mail slip..
(3) document from USPS inspector that they are looking into this matter.....

We are waiting in hope that my wife does not get an RFE on Birth information...

What can we say..

I guess INS is not the only federal agency that is unable to deliver (no pun intended!).

Small consolation, though.

I can understand the grievance of pain and suffering. Last year my wife sent some photographs and saffron for bhaiya dooj festival to her brother in India via global priority mail. Usually this kind of mail is delivered in 5 - 7 days. But, this particular mail was never received by her brother in India. We tried to inquire it from USPS but since there is no record of unregistered mails therefore, no information could be obtained.

If you talk to USPS customer service, they admit that they work at over 95% efficiancy. The flip side is that about 5% of the mails are lost, or damaged and are never delivered.

I guess this is how all postal departments work (I don't want to quote our Indian mail service here), and we'll have to learn to live with it.

Thanks