My experience at the stamping office

gotgc2002

I reached the Newak office at about 8.15 am. By 9:30 we were done stamping. Then I went to the SS office on the 10th floor of the same building applied for the new SSN card. I was out by 10:30 am doing that too.

Do not go early as suggested by many people. I think if one goes in time it serves the purpose.

Documents to take:

Passport
2 ADIT style photos
EAD
AP
I94

Newark INS Location ..

I will be going there soon .. I have heard there is some confusion about which entrance to take into the building .. people have been shunted from one door to the other. I saw postings on this but am still not clear .. can you please detail .. it must be fresh in your memory.

2. My spouse has a bunch of I-94's (same number) due to visa extension and mutliple change of status .. do we take them all ?

Thanks

CGC

PS : I guess you forgot mention the "Approval Notice" in your list of documents... do we take the attorney copy or our courtesy copy ?

Last edited by a moderator:
SSN Card

.. the new card is needed as the present one says .."Valid for Work with INS authorization only" - not a mandatory thing but better get it done since both offices are in the same building

CGC

SS card

Originally posted by Mohammed Sami
Do we have to apply for a new SS card after GC approoval. I am confused. Please can you clarify.

Mohammed Sami
Yes you do need to update SS records
The SS# will still remain the same
but they will take off the Restriction off your card
which reads "Valid for employment with INS authorisation only"
and SS will issue you a new card with same number but without the restriction.

Which allows you to work for any one without any restrictions, or you may even start your own business

Hope that helps

Newark INS Location ..

REPOSTING .. can someone help me on this one ?

Newark INS Location ..

I will be going there soon .. I have heard there is some confusion about which entrance to take into the building .. people have been shunted from one door to the other. I remember postings on this site but can not find them now .. can anyone please detail

Probably the Walnut St side entrance; its not a big deal if you've to take another

esbee

Updating your SSN not only gets you a new card with the "Authorized to work ..." statement removed. i.e. no specific limitation, but it also updates your information in the SSA database that you are now a permanent resident. i.e. any banker, lender, police etc can then verify that you are a permanent resident based on your SSN # and I think this is important and must be updated.