My Citizenship has been torn.

kumarlen

Registered Users (C)
Here is my story. I have sent my citizenship cert with passport application. I got the passport two days back. Today, I got USPS man kept the some other parcel with the mail near to door. My four years old son took the mail tore it into two pieces accidently without knowing anybody. I was in the office and my wife in the kitchen at that time. My questions is: I have to apply replacement of Citizenship Cert? or just put transparent tape on it? Is this certificate to be used anywhere else?

Thanks

You sounded very cute and innocent while explaining "how it got torn" . :).

I would apply for another copy because you may never know when/where you will need it.

Looks funny right! Anyway others can learn my experience, While sending the citizenship cert to passport office take extra step to cover with thin plastic sheets. probably they will send it with the cover back. Even it protects from rain also.

Here is my story. I have sent my citizenship cert with passport application. I got the passport two days back. Today, I got USPS man kept the some other parcel with the mail near to door. My four years old son took the mail tore it into two pieces accidently without knowing anybody. I was in the office and my wife in the kitchen at that time. My questions is: I have to apply replacement of Citizenship Cert? or just put transparent tape on it? Is this certificate to be used anywhere else?

Thanks

It is a good idea to apply for a replacement of the naturalization certificate, which you can do by submitting form N-565 to USCIS, see http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a910cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

The State Department will not accept a torn and then taped-up naturalization certificate if you try to submit it with a passport application. There may also be a few other situations where you need the actual naturalization certificate, so it is a good idea to apply for a replacement now.