Moving to Canada because of U.S. greencard delays?

siddharthmn

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

I know that many people on this forum and elsewhere usually apply for Canadian PR as a backup while waiting for their U.S. greencard (I confess I was one of them). I landed in Canada in Aug 2007 and came back to the U.S. within a week.

But now, with U.S. priority dates retrogressing every month (EB2 is now at Jan 2000 for India, I think - my own priority date is May 2006), I am very seriously considering moving to Canada for good, as I am mentally very tired of living in a "temporary" state, and will likely be in H1B/EAD for quite a few more years based on the current trend.

I'm curious to know if others on the forum are also considering a permanent move to Canada and abandoning their U.S. plans. I would be very grateful to hear if others are thinking along the same lines.

Thanks,

Siddharth

Last edited by a moderator:
It will depend on person to person. I also applied for Canada and then did not pursue it after I got my Green Card. It took around 6 years to get my GC. The only concern I had with moving to Canada was job situation. I would rather look for a job first and then move from US.

I worked in US for around 7 years and moved to Canada in 2005 as I got my Canadian PR. Fortunately, I worked out a deal with my client when I was in US and moved to one of their divisions in Canada and hence, I didn't go through the hassles of looking for a job.

Now, after 3 years, the place I work is being shutdown and I am trying to get a job outside. I have atleast applied for more than 15 jobs in the last few weeks after carefully selecting the ones that suit my profile. Guess what? I haven't got a sinlge call!!! One thing I felt is that Canadian experience only caries weightage and you may have to climb down on the gross salary you may expect.

As far as living goes, no doubt it is a great place to be. I initially had some issues, comparing everything with US but now, after 3 years, if given a choice, I would stay in Canada rather than moving to US.

Good luck!!