Moving from US to Canada by CAR - Help Needed

cfelicio

Hello There!

I need your input before moving to canada.

Right now I'm on a US J1 visa, that will expire in June. When that happens, my company will transfer me to Vancouver on a work permit for 1 year. After that, I can move back to US on a L1 visa (a reverse transfer hehe).

Since I'll just stay there for a year, I'm wondering what happens if I try to cross the border with my US car:

1 - Since I'll have no way to come back to US, will the Canadian officer "force" me to import the car?

2 - If he let me keep the car without importing it, the maximum time is 1 year, or the time of my work permit? I'm asking because if I extend the work permit for a little bit more, I'll have to keep the car without importing it.

Also, what documents do I need besides the car title and the insurance card (the one that is specific for canada, issued by US insurance company)?

Thanks a lot!
Carlos

Hello,
I am an american citizen, born and raised. I have always wanted to move to Canada. I love the cold not a hot weather person at all. I will be newly divorced soon and want to move to Canada and work and live there and just well be happy. What are the first steps I need to take? Thank you, Margo

Hello,
I am an american citizen, born and raised. I have always wanted to move to Canada. I love the cold not a hot weather person at all. I will be newly divorced soon and want to move to Canada and work and live there and just well be happy. What are the first steps I need to take? Thank you, Margo

www.cic.gc.ca - This site will give you the info regarding immigration to Canada.