Moving Between States while awaiting interview

Privateer

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am awaiting my N-400 Interview in Oklahoma City but I may have to move to Florida before it happens.

Does anyone know how much this will delay my interview schedule or will I be put back to the bottom again.

I believe my interview will be in August or September in Oklahoma City.

Thanks in advance to everyone

Hello,
I am awaiting my N-400 Interview in Oklahoma City but I may have to move to Florida before it happens.

Does anyone know how much this will delay my interview schedule or will I be put back to the bottom again.

I believe my interview will be in August or September in Oklahoma City.

Thanks in advance to everyone
If the IO finds out that you have moved, then you have to wait 3 months in Florida and apply again. Yes, you will pretty much start at the bottom.

Try your best to stay in Oklahoma City till your interview is done otherwise you risk major delays.

I filed for Adjustment of Status in December 1998. Back then it took 3 months to get an interview at OKC.

I moved to Dallas TX 2 weeks after filing. No interview in Dallas. Moved again after 18 months to Philadelphia. Still no interview. Moved to central NJ (Newark DO). My interview finally took place in March 2001 (27 monhs after filing), and it took 2 more years until I got the GC (March 2003).

I'm in the same situation and will be moving soon. Can't afford to delay the move. Can't put my life on hold for this interview.

N400 Applier, I'm not sure where you got that info but I called the 1800# and spoke to a CSR and an IO who said there is no 3 month residency requirement and you certainly don't go to the bottom of the pile. They stated that you should inform CIS of your move ASAP thru form AR-11 so your file would be transferred to the new DO.

N400 PD 07/10/2006
no interview

Last edited by a moderator:
Two factual corrections are appropriate here:

1. There most certainly is a 3 month (90 day) residency requirement which will be automatically be enforced by USCIS, starting as soon as you notify them of your address change. [You need to send AR11 and call the 800 number to have your address updated]

2. You do not need to reapply after you move, but moving districts does have implications, the first being the additional 90 day waiting period, and the second being that your A-file must be sent to the new DO. Unfortunately, being USCIS, its not quite that simple... you file will go take the following trip:
- Old District Office to its parent Service Center
- Old Service Center to new Service Center
- New Service Center to new District Office
As you see, there is potential for the file to get misdirected or stalled somewhere along the way. Thats what usually happens when you haven't heard anything for about 6 months...

Are you getting the idea that moving districts can really knock your case off the fast-track?

Two factual corrections are appropriate here:

1. There most certainly is a 3 month (90 day) residency requirement which will be automatically be enforced by USCIS, starting as soon as you notify them of your address change. [You need to send AR11 and call the 800 number to have your address updated]

2. You do not need to reapply after you move, but moving districts does have implications, the first being the additional 90 day waiting period, and the second being that your A-file must be sent to the new DO. Unfortunately, being USCIS, its not quite that simple... you file will go take the following trip:
- Old District Office to its parent Service Center
- Old Service Center to new Service Center
- New Service Center to new District Office
As you see, there is potential for the file to get misdirected or stalled somewhere along the way. Thats what usually happens when you haven't heard anything for about 6 months...

Are you getting the idea that moving districts can really knock your case off the fast-track?

Boatbod,

When is the file xferred to a District Office? What if you move before it is xferred to the (old) DO?