Moving after applying GC for spouse

JSlade

Registered Users (C)
I will be a citizen in a week, and planning on applying GC for my spouse (currently on H-1B). We will be moving to a different state in couple of months. How easy/difficult would it be to update the address once we start the GC process, or it would be simpler to apply after moving to new state?

Thanks.

Apply for GC right away - may be even the day after your oath, provided that you have your Nat certificate. You can change address online so it's not a big deal. If you have 2-3 months, chances are your application (and your wife's 485) will be approved before you move.

USCIS is bad with handling changes of address. They will sometimes send mail to the old address or other such madness, causing a missed fingerprint or interview appointment, resulting in denial or large delays. There are lots of horror stories related to address changes, so avoid that if you can.

Since it's only a couple of months, and your spouse already has legal status (H1) anyway, wait until after you move to file for your spouse's GC so you can avoid potential hiccups from changing address mid-stream. It's going to take a month anyway to gather the paperwork and get the medical exam done (unless that stuff has already been done).

USCIS is bad with handling changes of address. They will sometimes send mail to the old address or other such madness, causing a missed fingerprint or interview appointment, resulting in denial or large delays. There are lots of horror stories related to address changes, so avoid that if you can.

Since it's only a couple of months, and your spouse already has legal status (H1) anyway, wait until after you move to file for your spouse's GC so you can avoid potential hiccups from changing address mid-stream. It's going to take a month anyway to gather the paperwork and get the medical exam done (unless that stuff has already been done).

We have exactly 2 months before the move. I like the idea of getting the paperwork and medical exam done, I have a good idea on paper work, but not about medical exam, I will look up information about medical exam.

Thanks.