More bad news for EB3s??

avi101

Registered Users (C)
Source: www.immigration-law.com

10/30/2004: Anticipated EB Priority Date Retrogression, AC-21, and Survivability

* In about two weeks or so, the immigrant community will see the January 2005 Visa Bulletin. According to the State Department prediction, some categories of employment-based cases may see retrogression of visa numbers. In most likelihood, the potential candidates are China and India and EB-3 rather than EB-2 or EB-1. It is anybody's guess at this time when it comes to a question "how steep the number may move backward."
* The old timers may remember that the oversubscription of the employment-based visa numbers was the norm rather than exception in old days. In this regard, the current immigrants in this country in fact enjoyed heiday in that the visa numbers have been "current" in all employment-based categories. Here we will look at the impact of retrogression on the immigrants.
* In old days, no matter how long it took, the alien had to keep the employment with the sponsoring employer or otherwise they lost the opportunity to adjust status to a lawful permanent resident. Things have changed since then. Now, we have AC-21 that allows the alien to change employment after 180 days of I-485 filing and the aliens have a better chance to survive while awaiting the visa numbers and approval of I-485. That much, the immigrants of today are luckier than the old immigrants.
* However, don't jump yet! Here are the bad parts. Currently, I-485 applicants cannot change employment unless the I-140 is "first approved." Accordingly, not every I-485 waiter will have a luck to survive. Worse yet, there is a pontential policy that will come into play once the visa number becomes unavailable - a policy of not adjudicating I-140 petitions for those cases for which visa numbers are not available. Indeed, the legacy INS adopted such policy in old days. Even now, in the family-based immigrant petitions (I-130), the USCIS adopts exactly this policy in that the Service Centers do not process I-130 immigrant petitions until the visa numbers become available. Such policy is justified in that it will be effective use of given resources to adjudicate the petitions for those whose I-485 can also be adjudicated because the visa number is available. On the other hand, arguably, the resources are allocated for wrong cases if the USCIS adjudicates I-140 petitions for which visa numbers are not available and even if the I-140 is approved, the alien will not be able to get his/her I-485 adjudicated for a long time until the visa number becomes available for him or her. Thus, should this policy be revived by the USCIS, the immigrants of the retrogressed categories will indeed witness a nightmare. If visa number is not available, it is likely under this policy that the USCIS will not adjudicate I-140, no matter whether it is filed independently or concurrently with I-485. Since I-140 will not be adjudicated until the visa number becomes available, the aliens may not be able to change employment even if they file a concurrent I-140/I-485 package. Depending on how long it will take to reach the numbers, the system will produce a plenty of I-485 filer victimes who may not be able to survive the test of the times unless the economy really turns around and there will be plenty of jobs for everyone. In this regard, retrogression means more than "just waiting."
* Who will be real winners? The real winners are three groups: One is the group who have attained the approval of I-140 petitions when his/her I-485 application is tolled because of the retrogression in that the people in this group can change employment and survive while his/her visa number becomes current in the Visa Bulletin. The second group is those who happen to have earlier priority date because of the terrible pains they have endured for the past several years. There are a huge number of people who have been waiting and waiting "for years" to get the labor certification applications. The pain must have been unbearable. But these people will be rewarded for their past suffering. The DOL has decided to process 300,000-some backlog cases in the order of First In First Out, and longer they had waited, sooner they will see the labor certification applications be adjudicated. Besides, since their priority dates (labor certification application filing dates) go back several years, even if the visa numbers move backward, they may not be caught up by the "visa cut off date" unless the Visa Bulletin moves backward many many years. From here on, it is extremely important that they may not want to abandon the pending labor certification cases to go for a new labor certification application or substitution route since they will lose the old priority date. The third group is those who are not caught up with the visa number unavailability. Most of the nationals other than the oversubscribed nations will be benefited from the retrogression in that should the USCIS decides to adjudicate I-140 petitions and I-485 applications for whom visa numbers are available, more resources will become available within the Service Centers to adjudicate their cases and they will be able to get approval of I-140 and I-485 sooner than expected, assuming that the USCIS indeed decides not to adjudicate I-140 petitions for those whose priority dates are not available. INDEED, LIFE IS A GAMBLE!!

Pessimistic View on Future of Immigration in U.S.: A "Quote"

:eek: From immigration-law.com

This website has never posted an opinion which was expressed by people in another websites. However, the Reporter has decided to break the tradition to quote an opinion, not because this Reporter agrees to the conclusion of the writer but because of the description of the events that are and will be unfolding in this country with respect to the immigration. The view is "well put" and deserves this website visitor's valuable time and "quoted" as follows:
Quote: "My suggestions to aspiring immigrants:
a. no president will be kind enough to let you be in American with ease.
b. Pro-immigration is most unpopular public policy and that's why Bush played the trick: he gave a speech about kind of pro-immigration policy at off season without any policy proposal in the Congress. He did it to fool Mexican President Fox as if he has plan to do something for immigrants. But at election time, he hardly made any statement about it.
c. Kerry has talked nothing about it either except in one question answer session.
d. Kerry sounds a bit more pro immigrants than Bush but don't be fooled. Even the most compassionate sounding and broad-minded Clinton brought the harshest immigration policy in 1996 although Republicans were the champions of this policy in particular.
e. Aspiring immigrants are not voters and those who are voters do not like to hear about pro-immigration statements. So, it is understandable. Most of the naturalized ones are the most anti-immigrants.
f. Economists know that the future of this country holds on immigrants a lot. But politics is different thing. Canadians exploited the Chinese but did not let them earn legalization at earlier time. When the country faced serious population shortage and skilled worker shortage because of low fertility and huge immigration to the US of its White population, it now accepts all skilled workers of India and China in particular.
g. America for some reason has not faced it so and majority of America will not entertain immigrants until China dominates the world economy and America fails in its competition with the European Union, China and India mainly because of its rising obesity and aging and problems like social security, health care and high wage.
h. So, for coming 20 to 30 years, US immigration policy will be no better than today's. It may go worse.
i. I know America has hard days ahead because of :
. Moslem fanatics of the world
. obesity which cause too much allocation of resource to health care and loss of productivity
. severe inequality in income distribution which will cause more street crimes, unsafe neighborhood, possible political unrest if the rise in inequality persists and if the poorer find it harder and harder to live.
. huge failure to bring the Black and Hispanic population to the mainstream of educational, economic and political system
. too much technological dependence (e.g. internet which is prone to attack from anywhere of the world)
. identity theft
. loss of privacy
. too much crackdown on people’s rights in the name of terrorism control
j. So, I think it's better for today's generation of aspiring immigrants not to be desperate to settle for the longer term in this country. When you retire, who will care you? The system is made so difficult to survive: rising health care costs, loss of social security and medicare, higher cost of living, almost no public support, rising identity theft, skyrocketing tuition fee of your children to pay the royals of the college system will make life difficult in America too.
k. Aspiring immigrants, I know your home country is no better. But one thing is better there and that is you will not face the uncertainty of visa status. Also you will not be too worried about greencard. You will not need to wait for many years for Greencard. Nobody will intermediate you of deportation. You will not need to worry too much about being caught by the INS officer or police. Your quality of life may be higher because of this in real terms if not in monetary terms.
So, let us make plan to leave this country in a reasonable period of time. If we plan well to live a simple and humble life, life may not be too hard at our motherlands too!! Let us not blame American people either. American people are the hardest hit by the ongoing trends of this country. Their anti-immigrant sentiment is the reflection of their fear of future hardships."
Unquote

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about my limited knowledge. Can anybody tell me what is the Visa number? Is it the visa number on our passports? If so, why it related to the application? Thanks a lot.

Visa number will be provided by DOS (Department Of State) to CIS, for immigrant visa.

So DOS says the current year quota of 40,000 over for EB3 category, then CIS stops accepting any new applications (I485). Same way like your H1B quota.

Guys,
I have very limited knowledge about this VISA number. Please let me know how I am or a common person affected by this VISA number issue if I provide you following information:

Labor Applied in August 2003, Approved in December 2003.
I-140 ND 03/02/2004,
I-485 ND 03/22/2004.
EAD /AP approved May/June 2004.
FP done 10/05/2004.

Now will it affect the I-140 processing? Also what will be the priority date in my case?

Thanks,
Gckajadoo..

gckajadoo,
Nobody knows till what date and when exactly the dates will retrogress but some people have reported July 2002.Also from above even 140 approvals will stop getting processed if your labor application date is after jULY 2002 date.Again most of the cutoof dates are a speculation.Presently it is best not to worry about all this and wait till the exact dates are announced,you never know which way things might go.....

gcbandwagon said:
gckajadoo,
Nobody knows till what date and when exactly the dates will retrogress but some people have reported July 2002.Also from above even 140 approvals will stop getting processed if your labor application date is after jULY 2002 date.Again most of the cutoof dates are a speculation.Presently it is best not to worry about all this and wait till the exact dates are announced,you never know which way things might go.....

Gurus,
Please explain above in plain English so that laymen like me can understand.

Thanks
Sadashivepethi

Sadashiv...

Do you understand H1B quota is 60000/year ?

This is GC quota...this is just simple.

As "GCBAND" mentioned, nobody knows till what date and when exactly ....
So keep watching...

lc2003 said:
Sadashiv...

Do you understand H1B quota is 60000/year ?

This is GC quota...this is just simple.

As "GCBAND" mentioned, nobody knows till what date and when exactly ....
So keep watching...

Thanks a lot.

Is INS going to stop processing I485 filed after a certain data? if so why?

SadashivePethi said:
Thanks a lot.

Is INS going to stop processing I485 filed after a certain data? if so why?

Yes, if priority date cutoffs are in place for that category (EB2, EB etc.) and
country of origin. The cutoffs would be in place because dept of state (which is in charge of managing number of greencards that can be issued each year)feels like there are enough applicants with priority dates before the cutoff date to meet the available quota.
If the cutoff is estabilished, it won't matter if 485 has been filed. Even if filed, if the cutoff regresses to before that 485's priority date, then 485 won't (can't) be approved.