Mom wating for GC, can be added as dependent on Tax return

soul71

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

My mom is in US with me since March 2013 and waiting for her Green card till date. We filed her GC application in US and she got her EAD/AP in Nov 2013. I would like to know if I can add her as one of my dependent while I file my tax returns for 2013. She already have her Social Security number. Any guidance/help in this matter is appreciated.

Yes, you can add her as a dependent. Make sure that you include ALL of her worldwide income also in the tax return.

She is retired and recieves a pension amount of about $250/month from her native country. Is there a limit for earnings for dependents like her or we have to report whatever she earned. In this case about $ 3000/yr.

You have to report whatever she earns (including any interests on bank deposits) and all her income adds to your income on the tax return.

Yes, you can add her as a dependent. Make sure that you include ALL of her worldwide income also in the tax return.

I am preparing my tax return and claiming my mom who's GC application is still under review. There are two options "Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card) or "Non resident alien". If I select Non resident alien the software (Taxact) I am using does not allow me to claim her dependent. I googled this and found Turbo Tax to have below information. Any advise what to do here, please?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Residency and Relationship

The technical term that the IRS uses to meet the relationship requirement for these tax and life situations is “Qualifying Relative”. This means that the person you’re caring for can be your parent, an in-law, or even a grandparent.

However, they must be related to you biologically, by adoption, or through marriage (which would technically be a biological relationship through your spouse).

And guess what? The IRS has residency requirements as well. To meet the resident requirement, the person you are caring for must meet one of the following:

■Be a legal US Citizen
■Be a US National
■Be a US Resident Alien
■Be a Resident of Canada or Mexico
For foreign, non-US-citizen parents to achieve official US resident status, they must be a recipient of a Green Card issued by the US government or have lived in the US for 183 days during the past tax year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your mom has lived for more than 183 days in the US, she is considered a resident alien under IRS tax laws. You should select
"Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card)" option since the other option does not allow you to claim her as a dependent.

Since your mom has lived for more than 183 days in the US, she is considered a resident alien under IRS tax laws. You should select
"Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card)" option since the other option does not allow you to claim her as a dependent.

Thanks for your quick response. I am glad to get more return.:D