Mistake on N400 form

vishwaskaroo

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
I have made a mistake on my N400 which I just reliazed. Can you please let me know if this is a big issue?

I traveled to India recently (just for a month on vacation) and while I was there I filled out my N400 application by downloading the online form. I did not submit the application until 2 days AFTER I came back from India however on the N400 form where we sign and date the application (at the end of the form) - the date that I put in was the date while I was still in India.
So - I came back from India on Dec 31. I mailed the forms on Jan 02. However on the section where we date the application I put the date as Dec 28 (since that's when I filled the form). I did list the dates of travel to and from India correctly (ie. in the travel section of the N400 I did mention that I came back on Dec 31).

Is this an issue? Is there a rule that says that one cannot have the date on the form be the date when you were out of the country? Will this cause issue at the interview?

Thanks in advance for your help

My non-legal opinion is that this would not be an issue, given that it was a minor error and only a few days were involved. If the N-400 is accepted by the USCIS office and a receipt number is issued, I think you will be OK. What do others think?

I think as long as the date is after you become eligible to apply for citizenship, it should not matter. I would seriously doubt if anyone at USCIS even looks at that date.