missed special registration

dock351

Syrian, on b visa (renewed and subsequently expired 5 months ago, just found out about special registration. Married to US Citizen recently. what should I do??

Am in the same situation. Am from Pakistan and am married to a US citizen. Papers have been filed but have not received receipt as yet. Should I wait for the receipt and then still go for registeration ????? Any help from somebody in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't be afraid, just yet!

:rolleyes:
Here is the deal guys, at least as far as I know:
Not registering is considered a criminal offense. During my registration I asked the interviewer lady if this might help my INS process in any way. Her reply was,
"Absolutely not. This is a matter of national security, this has nothing to do with your INS process. But if you didn't register, any thing you might have pending with INS, would be null and void immediately! You'd have no hope for any future immigration benefit."

Go figure! Now, get this, it's not too late for you guys. Make sure you guys talk to a lawyer and go from there. I heard that lawyers can find out some loop hole (showing reasons of ignorance/sickness etc.) and get you in. Also, I saw people getting by with as much as a FedEx receipt of the I-485 form. You don't need INS's receipt. But make veeeeeery sure that you consult with a gooooood lawyer. Move very faaaaaaaast! Things might get very hairy if you delay! Good luck and God Bless!

I went ahead and got myself registered today. The Immigration officer was very nice and he expalined to me that this process is ending but it will help my filing when the time comes. So for those who are tyhinking about it I would recommend having a lawyer stand by just incase and take the plunge. Good Luck to all.