Minumum Income for Citizenship

linxtek

Registered Users (C)
I need to apply for Citizenship. Just wondering how much is the minimum income when I file taxes and for how many years I should have filed income taxes to be eligibl? any official reference?

I do not think there is a minimu income, you just have to ensure that they are filed and that you pay taxes. I presume you are doing this as you are not actually resident in the country. I understand that you need to have 5 years of taxes to show at the interview. Anyone care to differ?

A legal resident (LPR) is expected to file taxes with the IRS on their worldwide income every year, regardless of whether they are physically present in the US or not. Failing to do so, or filing as a non-resident can indicate to USCIS that you have abandoned your residency (if abroad) or lack sufficient moral character for naturalization (if in US).

So yes, you'll need to be able to prove you are up to date with your taxes, and show 5yr history if asked.

In addition you must of course meet the requirements for continuous and physical presence, which usually means a minimum of 5 years residence in the US after GC, with no trip abroad longer than 6 months.

In addition you must of course meet the requirements for continuous and physical presence, which usually means a minimum of 5 years residence in the US after GC, with no trip abroad longer than 6 months.

There has probably been much discussion on this, but to be clear. The trips abroad of no longer then 6 months are *not* limited in any one year. So if you can prove that you have significant ties to the USA and have taken two 5 months trips in one year - then you have not broken the residency requirement.. right?

I need to apply for Citizenship. Just wondering how much is the minimum income when I file taxes and for how many years I should have filed income taxes to be eligibl? any official reference?

There is no minimum income. you have to have taxes in order. That means properly filing them, paid your taxes if you owe any an the like.