MIL's visa rejected

rasi_s

Registered Users (C)
My Mother-in-law's visa got rejected at Chennai US Consulate.

Can we apply again immediately as soon as we get another appointment date or do we have to wait for certain period?

Thanks,
Rasi

Do you know the reason why it was denied? If not then why do you want to take another appointment?

No idea! Read this!!

Hi hathwar,

Don't know why it was denied. Really no clue! Here is the complete interview Q & A session happened at Chennai US Consulate:

1) Who is in US ?
Daughter and son-in-law

2) What are they doing?
Daughter - H4 , son-in-law H1B - computer programmar

3) How long are you going?
6 months

4) Why your husband is not travelling?
He is bedridden and cannot travel

5) How long is he disabled?
5 years

6) Who will look after him when you are gone?
My son and dauther-in-law

7) How long are your daugther and son-in-law married?
5 years

8) Have your daughter and son-in-law ever visited India?
Yes. 1 year ago.

9) Do they have any kids?
No

10) Is your daughter pregnant?
No

11) Sorry Madam. We cannot issue a visa!!!

He handed her a standard pre-printed letter that stated her visa was denied under Section 214 (b).

The consular officer did not want to take a look at any of the documents we sent. All he looked at was her Web appointment receipt and DS-156 form. That's it!

CAN ANYONE MAKE OUT ANYTHING OUT OF THIS Q&A SESSION?!!! We are under some kind of curse in this supposed to be a FREE country, I guess

Any idea what we can do next? Anyone got their visa denied once and got the approval during the next appointment(s) or after sometime, please share your experience.

Rasi

read this

read this:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/denials/denials_1361.html

Documents you send carry little weight. They are only meant to establish that a visitor will not become a public charge - that is the last of their concerns. Those documents are required - but the primary requirement is to establish that the visitor will return.

The answer to each question they ask is turned around in their heads to that effect. For example if the answer to the question "Who will look after your husband when you are gone?" would have been "My son has taken leave from his work for 6 months to do this" - would mean there is a good reason for your MIL to go back. Other than that, submit documents like home ownership, job documents (if she works), bank statements with a good balance and her name on the account. If this is her first visit abroad, it is also perferable to say that she'd like to stay with you for 3-4 months and would like to travel around the country before returning.

good luck!

Yeah I have read that link before and thanks magajmari, for you suggestions.

But you know our parents/in-laws over there are so naive and innocent we can "teach" them only so much. Had that been you or me in front of the counsular officer, we would have given a tough "psychological" fight, as we know what those guys expect. Hope you would agree with me.

I am reading other posts in this forum too. It is so sad to see how those pregnant girls' dreams are shattered by some of the denials. The consular officers should be taught to go through the documents. By looking at a person and asking few questions I am not sure how they can judge their intentions. To get a whole picture, they should be trained to take a look at the documents also. Otherwise it would be like judging a book by its covers! May be that's what they have been taught - try all means to DENY first and APPROVE once in a while!

This whole visitor visa process sounds very absurd! Just venting it out...

Rasi

Visa approved after rejection!

My MIL's visa was approved last week during her SECOND interview! Hers was rejected first time citing 214(b) as the reson. To me, this still appears to be a miracle!!!

If you had noticed I had been asking/looking for any approvals after the first time rejection. Now we know that it can happen. So guys please do not loose hope.

Rasi

rasi_s said:
My MIL's visa was approved last week during her SECOND interview! Hers was rejected first time citing 214(b) as the reson. To me, this still appears to be a miracle!!!

If you had noticed I had been asking/looking for any approvals after the first time rejection. Now we know that it can happen. So guys please do not loose hope.

Rasi
Good -- congrats :)

Was your MIL asked anything different in her second interview ?
Or for the same questions, did she answer any differently ??
Did she take any extra documents this time around ?

Am trying to figure out what prompts an approval/denial at the consulate !

Rasi, Congrats and thanks for the update. This gives me a little hope to apply second time for my mom. My mom's visa got rejected two weeks back in Chennai.

Did you wrote any letter when you apply second time ?. Is there any wait time to apply second time?

thanks,

Josh

Interesting.,

thx
usinsuser99

rasi_s said:
My Mother-in-law's visa got rejected at Chennai US Consulate.

Can we apply again immediately as soon as we get another appointment date or do we have to wait for certain period?

Thanks,
Rasi

No additional documents

max2k1 & Josh818,

There was no change in the documents she carried. In fact, she used the same two months old documents, I had sent earlier for her first appointment. Only the DS-156 form was new ( obvious ).

Here interview took less than 10 minutes, this time. She was asked only three questions:
1) What is your name? - Ans: My name is xxxxx.
2) Who are you visiting in USA? - Ans: Son-in-law & Daughter - our names.
3) How long are you going to stay - 3 months

and she was granted a visa - 10 years - multiple entry.

GOD only knows on what basis they deny/grant a visa!

Good luck,
Rasi