Military tracker

lex

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone else has a military application ongoing. This is my *third* attempt. The first two got lost in the military bureaucracy...

In case you haven't done this before, I'll share some tips I learned along the way:

1. Take charge of your application package.
I can't stress this enough. Maybe your legal folks have experience with N-400 apps, but from my experience many more don't. Put the package together yourself, and go around collecting signatures and other materials you might need. If that package leaves your hands, well, you lost all control.

2. Draft your own Military cover letter
The form is pretty self explanatory. Fill it in with the appropriate information, then ask your command to print it out in their letterhead.

3. Fill in as much as you can of your N-426, then watch while the personnel rep fills in the appropriate dates. Insist they stamp it, sign it, and give it back to you. I had mine notarized just in case.

4. The military has a *lot* of leeway with the fingerprinting process. You can basically pick your fingerprinting date and have head-of-line privileges when you get to the application support center. I do not recommend you let the military take your prints if you can avoid it. At the ASC it's done electronically. If you are stateside and live by the ASC, that's the ticket. I had mine done before I even submitted the package to Nebraska.

5. Make sure that your point of contact will be stationed there for at least another year, just in case. My first POC left a week after he allegedly sent my app in, and I never heard from anyone, ever.

6. Mail the package yourself. Once it's all put together, stuff it into a fedex envelope and send it in. I tracked my package online all the way to Nebraska.

My progress so far:

Fingerprint date: 10-19-07
Mailed N-400: 10-26-07
Received Date: 10-31-07
Priority Date: 10-31-07
Notice Date: 11-16-07
Receipt online: 11-20-07 (LIN*001******)
Interview Date: ???
Oath Date: ???

Did you get the finger prints taken by the Military (FP 10/19; Application mailed 10/26)?

Well written for the benefit of others who will follow.

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone else has a military application ongoing. This is my *third* attempt. The first two got lost in the military bureaucracy...

In case you haven't done this before, I'll share some tips I learned along the way:

1. Take charge of your application package.
I can't stress this enough. Maybe your legal folks have experience with N-400 apps, but from my experience many more don't. Put the package together yourself, and go around collecting signatures and other materials you might need. If that package leaves your hands, well, you lost all control.

2. Draft your own Military cover letter
The form is pretty self explanatory. Fill it in with the appropriate information, then ask your command to print it out in their letterhead.

3. Fill in as much as you can of your N-426, then watch while the personnel rep fills in the appropriate dates. Insist they stamp it, sign it, and give it back to you. I had mine notarized just in case.

4. The military has a *lot* of leeway with the fingerprinting process. You can basically pick your fingerprinting date and have head-of-line privileges when you get to the application support center. I do not recommend you let the military take your prints if you can avoid it. At the ASC it's done electronically. If you are stateside and live by the ASC, that's the ticket. I had mine done before I even submitted the package to Nebraska.

5. Make sure that your point of contact will be stationed there for at least another year, just in case. My first POC left a week after he allegedly sent my app in, and I never heard from anyone, ever.

6. Mail the package yourself. Once it's all put together, stuff it into a fedex envelope and send it in. I tracked my package online all the way to Nebraska.

My progress so far:

Fingerprint date: 10-19-07
Mailed N-400: 10-26-07
Received Date: 10-31-07
Priority Date: 10-31-07
Notice Date: 11-16-07
Receipt online: 11-20-07 (LIN*001******)
Interview Date: ???
Oath Date: ???

No, they were taken at the ASC

What happens with the military apps is that your military point of contact (the service person appointed to help you with your application - can be almost anyone in a command, which may lead to trouble as well due to lack of experience) actually prepares your fingerprint application for you, and puts in whatever date the military can let you off for a few hours to get it done. I got mine done on a vacation day just to get it done quicker.

You just have to show up at the ASC with the letter and they will fingerprint you. There is no need to let the ASC know in advance.

Well, this is kinda off the Topic but I agree with you.

My Husband was overseas where I met him and we got married over there. It took us 4 Month to get married because they Military screwed up our Paperwork constantly. There was even a time where a commander signed with a RED Pen which is not acceptable in the Military or on Military Paperwork. Handle things yourself and stay ontop because the Military doesn't like Paperwork so they do a lot to screw it up or avoid things. Not to bash them, absolutely not. I am an Army Wife but seriously. Lex has a really good point and follow his way which is in my opinion the best way to go.

The DoD really should issue guidance

to all branches of the service that is consistent across the board.

When I was researching this I came across different manuals for all services, all different in one way or another. It's got to be a nightmare for the USCIS to sort through unique packages every time a new one comes in.

I guess I might as well post here what is absolutely necessary to send in:

1. N-400
2. Copy of stamped fingerprint letter from ASC, if you were fingerprinted there.
3. G325B
4. N-426 certified by the military
5. Photos
6. Court record of any arrests, tickets, etc and any other special documentation that may be required for your case. Many folks don't have to worry about this.
7. Copy of green card
8. Cover letter requesting military processing and fee waiver. This will also list your expected whereabouts for the next few months in case you need to take your oath overseas
9. Copies of all DD-214's you ever received.

Good news, bad news

So today I spoke to one of the folks in Nebraska in charge of military applications.

She told me my application was completed and shipped to Detroit. :D

Then she said: wait, we don't send applications out to Detroit until your namecheck is finished, per their request. :eek:

I have done some research here on the forum about namecheck, etc and it sounds like it's a bear to deal with.

My problem is that my military career is on hold until I'm a citizen. I can't be promoted or re-enlist until then.

A quick poll: Do you think it's worth trying to push the issue with the FBI, letters to elected officials, etc at this point, or is it too early? I've been in namecheck for about a month.

My Husband is in the Military himself and we know quite a few people who are trying to become Citizens so they can continue their military career. If I were you I would try anything and everything and maybe go to JAG and see if they can help you with some Info. From what I know (that is what I heard about 2 years ago) you can only serve 8 years in the Military and then either ETS or become a citizen. Like I said try everything you can because Rank can and is important in the military and in the future after you either retire or ETS. Good Luck to you and I would recommend making an appointment with JAG. Usually every post has a immigration lawyer or someone that can at least help you with the subject.

Namecheck is done (whew...)

Talked to the USCIS military rep today and I guess my namecheck cleared last week. I think they just got tired of me calling every Monday :D

Looks like I'll be able to get this done before my enlistment contract is up and re-enlist without a break in service.

We chatted for a few minutes, and the rep mentioned that the FBI is really going the extra mile trying to clear out the existing backlog. Apparently the problem is that there is a world of difference between an 'easy' check (no hits) and one that shows a potential hit. I guess at that point there isn't much technology involved and a person has to look at a lot of records in order to determine whether the hit was a false positive.

One step closer

Had the interview on March 7.

Things went pretty easy. Chatted with the IO for a few minutes, answered six quiz questions, signed the application, wrote the sentence down, read the other sentence. Piece of cake.

One strange thing: The IO asked me to sign everything in block letters. I didn't argue...

Waited another half hour for the oath date: Mid-April !

Can't believe this is finally going to be over soon...

Thanks

It's not the best of times for someone to be in the military, and your words are much appreciated.

yike you guys are lucky. Im going on a little more than 3 years plus! Name check is since May of 2005! I asked my military attorney guy, he told me to redo my application. I told him to go **** himself, i waited 3 years and that what they told me? I dont think the guy deserve to do his job.

Anyway, my application is stuck, i dont really know what to do. I had my POC get my status, once a year i get some result and i been on their butt forever now. Couldnt even get my address change application done. It still stuck in Houston.

Any clue?

Try to ask USCIS to expedite your name check. They might be willing to do that for military-related apps.

Have you tried calling USCIS yourself. If you don't have the number it is 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645), exclusively for members of the military and their families.

Funny I looked up, down and over the USCIS web site and never found this page www.uscis.gov/military But gatedgal gave it to me the other day. Try calling though they will be happy to help you(I hope). Good Luck!

What worked for me was to do it myself

The first thing I would do is to call the mil hotline (877-247-4645), identify yourself and ask for a status check. You never know what they will come back with. For me it was 'no application filed' twice before I went and filed on my own.

Anyways, the person at the mil hotline should be able to give you status. If they say 'waiting on namecheck' (they did to me a few times) ask if everything else is ok. That will force them to go through the checklist and see if everything else was completed.

The person on the phone can also do your address change on the spot, which is nice.

Try it when you can and post again on this thread. Hopefully you'll get some answers.

yike you guys are lucky. Im going on a little more than 3 years plus! Name check is since May of 2005! I asked my military attorney guy, he told me to redo my application. I told him to go **** himself, i waited 3 years and that what they told me? I dont think the guy deserve to do his job.

Anyway, my application is stuck, i dont really know what to do. I had my POC get my status, once a year i get some result and i been on their butt forever now. Couldnt even get my address change application done. It still stuck in Houston.

Any clue?

Yes call the military line, you are entitled to it. And you will be speaking to a real IO who can give you real helpful information and assistance. I am a military spouse and also called that line and they were very nice and courteous.

thank guys and gals. I hope to talk to them tommorow as this is really starting to piss me off. Im close to a point where i dont give a crap about anything anymore. Talk about a morale check here.

It ironic how they can send me to the desert every years yet when asked about my citizenship, i got nothing. Sorry....for ranting..im just really pissed!

Anyway, ill give you guys some reply soon after i get a hold of anyone over there. The time zone here aint helping much as im currently on TDY.

tiencan, you can also email a military Immigration Officer at militaryinfo.nsc@dhs.gov

They respond emails and help you out in every aspect of the process. I understand what you are going thru, please hang in there and try to be a little bit more patient with the process as you already have alot going on in your path over there.

Try to email frequently to check the status of your case and call whenever you get the opportunity. Good luck.

Wow, the military info lines are night and days compare to the regular line.

I found out that they transfer my paperwork to my local station, but wasn't touch because it was done internally. Apparently that mean, no one knew anything about it so it was just sitting there. A fine example of how government employee work.

Second, my fingerprint expired as of last month. So i need to get a new one.

Third, was told that there were too many people with the same name as I have, therefore it take so long to get it cleared. Look like an excuse to me but that FBI issue.

So now all i do is wait. Right, im going to start calling people and bug them till they do something.