Middle Name Issues

snappy

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Last week my fingerprints were taken at my local USCIS. The clerk that had taken my fingerprints inquired about my middlename. It was neither on my greencard or drivers license. I believe she retained my middle name when sending my fingerprints, but request I bring identification showing proof of my middle name.

First thing I did was pull out my birth certificate after returning home only to find that my middle name is slightly misspelled on the certificate (it's from Australia).

I don't have any further identification indicating my middle name except my social security card (which I believe is not considered an ID). I've also used my middle name on tax records, but my tax return submissions only include middle initial.

I believe requesting a correction to my birth certificate will be a lengthy process and won't be completed in time for my interview. I also don't want to unintentionally instigate issues during the background check.

I spoke to my friend who is a notary public he cannot show proof of my middle name with my current forms of identity.

He did however suggest that my father write a letter confirming my middle name and pointing out the mistake on my birth certificate and have it notarized.

Any suggestions on what else I can do? So far it's the only issue I've come across in my application.

The easiest way to include your middle name is, during your intrview request a name change, and have them put it the way you want it on the Natz cert.
It may mean slight additional delay in oath, but would be the simplest way.

I'm not too concerned about the name change request, if it's at all required.

I'm more concerned if the neglect to have my middle name appear on my IDs will impair the process of attaining citizenship. Will they try both my name with and without middle name for the background check?

Will there be a possibility of flatout denying my application during interview due to insufficient evidence of my middle name?

I changed my name before I filed for my green card. The green card process took way longer than others. Then when I was pending for my N400 they did not knwo where my file was most of the time. They told people, us, politicians, former lawyer all different things. Once I filed my WOM they found my file.

I don't know how true this is, but when we had out interview, the IO told us that my file was not being processed as they were confused with my middle name. They said when I did my name change and filed my green card application it all got messed up. My advice is to change your name at the interview, not before.

snappy, don't worry. They have the resource to legally change your name during the interview.