Medical Insurance for visiting parents.

Dilip

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guyz,

I am aware that this is a wrong forum for this question. I am posting this as a good number of people would have experience doing this. Any inconvenience is regretted.

My parents are in their late 50s. They are diabetic. I am planning to get them here for a few months. Could any of you post details as to the best medical insurance schemes available. Any help in this regard is sincerly appreciated.

Dilip (Ex GCAR)

Almost all plans that provide visitors medical coverage make it a point to exclude all pre-existing conditions. Diabetes is linked to many negative conditions and therefore claims can easily become contentious. So make sure you read the fine print thoroughly and ask questions of the underwriter before you purchase.

Good-luck.

ghee - was it direct claims?

ghee,

Did u file any claims? Seabury and smith included direct claims or did u have to first pay urself and then file a claim? Would appreciate if you can include links to their website.

thanks,

-ab

Dilip

Pardon me for being presumptuous but if, as the name likely indicates, you are from India, then you could also consider buying Overseas Mediclaim insurance from an Indian insurance company like United or New India. These policies are issued in Indian rupees and generally have a deductible of $100 per claim. Check them out also.

I had used the medical insurance offered by india network foundation. It is not necessarily limited to visitors from India but it is an organization serving the indian community. Pre-existing conditions do apply but is limited to 6 months. You need to take a membership for $25 and the coverage premium was in the low hundred per month for one person. Their website is www.indnet.org

Thanx a lot

Hi Guyz,

Thanx for the good amount of responses. Going by my research till date, I have found out that most of the pre existing conditions are not covered. I am still scouting for policies preferably from India where I dont have to prepay and claim later. In short , I am looking for a policy from India that would come with the medical insurance card.Your responses are truly helpful and I would definitely let you guys know when I make the decision.

That way it might be of some help to the immigrant community.

Dilip (EX GCAR)

Check out Tata - AIG

That is what my mother bought for her last trip.

3 levels - good / better / best

The mid level is pretty good.

Rates are great. Have to buy it in India though.

AIG is a big insurance company is US and it seems that they have tied in with TATA (big in India) to offer this visitors health insurance.

I believe that you work through a US 800 # for claims. Haven't had to use it fortunately, but I would rather work with someone here than with someone india on claim processing.

The website is www.tata-aig.com

Actually looking at their website for "travel Guard" - looks like the claims may be done in India

As I said, I never had to use it and thus may have been confused about the 800#. Sorry.

Check with the ir agent in India