May 8 Call - Recording now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marriage after winning DV lottery

Dear Rajiv:

First of all, thank you so much for this great community service.

I realize my situation has been discussed several times before in this forum, however there are several points I do not understand clearly and would like your opinion.

My situation:

I am currently in the U.S. on H1B visa and my girlfriend of 8 years on F1 visa. I was selected for DV-2008 (Asia region) and expect that my number will become current in July or August. I am deciding whether I should get married before my number becomes current.

My Questions:

Question 1: If I get married before my number becomes current,

1.1) According to the discussions in this forum, there is a risk that my girlfriend and I will be denied of green cards if the consulate officer thinks the marriage is entered into for the purpose of getting green cards and not genuine. We genuinely want to marry each other and stay together after our marriage. Based on your experience, what is the possibility of getting denied of green cards in this kind of situation and is there anything we can do to reduce the risk?

1.2) If the green cards are denied, does it mean that my current H1B and my girlfriend’s F1 visas will be automatically revoked?

1.3) If the green cards are denied, will we be able to obtain non-immigrant visas in the future?

Question 2: If I get married after I get a green card and apply for a green card for my girlfriend,

2.1) Is the wait time around 5+ years for my girlfriend to get a green card?

2.2) During the wait period, will my girlfriend be able to maintain her F1 visa or come to U.S. via, for example, a travel visa? Or she will not be eligible for any non-immigrant visas during that time?

Question 3: If I get married after I get a green card but do not apply for a green card for my girlfriend,

3.1) Will my girlfriend have any problems applying for non-immigrant visas because her husband is a green card holder?

3.2) Do you have any other suggestions for us?

I485 Pending more than 4 years

Hi Rajiv,

I filed I485 on April 2004 and have my I140 EB2-NIW approved in July 2004. I am from rest of world with PD May 2003 that has always been current. After about 4 years FBI name check pending at the same time that I could use Feb. 4 memo, I was told my name check cleared in March 2008. MY FBI fingerprint is also completed. Now after two months from clearing all FBI checks the answer to service request is that my case is "under extended review" . Do you know what is the extended review?

I did everything that I could. How long more should I wait? What would you recommend?

Best Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Rajif,
I'm from Africa, won the DV2009 lottery.
I sent the DS-230 for me and my wife, to KCC but in sectin 29 of the form, it says, "NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE PETITIONER,"
I wrote only the address and didn't recognize that I ahave to write the name.
Is it going to affect the processing?
Do I have to call them and update this info?
Thanks.

AC21 Question

Hi Rajiv,

Thanks for your service for our community.

I applied my I-485 in Auguest 2007. As well my 140 is approved. I am planning to do AC21 to a new company using my EAD.

Assume that I applied properly 120 days before my current EAD expiration but if they are delaying my application approval What are the alternative ways to get EAD before the expiration date ( or How I can be legally work).

Thanks again for your service...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sibling !

Dear Rajiv !!

First and foremost thank you for your good samaritan efforts that you extend to all of us.

I have a younger brother who is fully dependent (he is mentally challenged) on my aging parents. I have just recently filed for naturalization and wish my parents to visit me and further down the line if they like I can apply for their green card once I have naturalized.

My question is: Does the US Immigration Law help handicapped sibling of a citizen or a handicap child of visitors to come to the US?

Thanks !!

Any info on H1B lottery?

Rajeev, thanks for helping the community. This is of great help by you which reduces the mental tension for people like me.

As all of us know H1B Cap Reached for FY2009. Any information on when USCIS completes the lottery and how it will inform the rejected ones?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.