Married Son of a U.S. Citizen

shredder66

Registered Users (C)
Hi, my mom's a U.S. citizen, and hopefully I would like to join her in the states. However, I'm over 21 and married. I'm not sure if I got married before, or after she became a citizen. She's been in the states for over 20 years. Can my mom still apply a petition for me and my family? It's just me, my wife, and daughter. And if so, how long a waiting period would it be? I've searched the internet, and it seems that it would take a loooooong time. Hoping for an informative response. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, my mom's a U.S. citizen, and hopefully I would like to join her in the states. However, I'm over 21 and married. I'm not sure if I got married before, or after she became a citizen. She's been in the states for over 20 years. Can my mom still apply a petition for me and my family? It's just me, my wife, and daughter. And if so, how long a waiting period would it be? I've searched the internet, and it seems that it would take a loooooong time. Hoping for an informative response. Thanks!

Loooong time.. approximately 10 years.

But I suggest that your mom do it anyways. You'll never know if INS changes its rules down the road. And even if it doesn't, your priority date will hopefully become current before your daughter turns 21 (But it will only benefit her if she's still single by then).

Well, my daughter is 5 years old right now, so a petition would be greatly beneficial to her..as for me,I'm 29 years old so waiting that long isn't really an option for me. Thanks for the speedy reply!

Loooong time.. approximately 10 years.

But I suggest that your mom do it anyways. You'll never know if INS changes its rules down the road. And even if it doesn't, your priority date will hopefully become current before your daughter turns 21 (But it will only benefit her if she's still single by then).

If you're from the Philippines, the current wait time for a married son/daughter of a US citizen is about 18 years, not 10 years. As of July 2009, they are processing applications filed on July 1, 1991 and earlier, for that category. Hopefully, it will be shorter, or the law changes in the future, for your daughter's sake, at least. Good luck to you and your family!

18 years? Ouch.. Well it's time to face reality, I guess. I may probably never step foot on American soil within this lifetime, unless my nursing career turns out for the better. Lol. All of my younger brothers & sister are already in the states right now, and it just saddens me to think that aside from family reunions/vacations, etc, we will never be that close as we were once before.

I'd just like to add, I spent two years in the States when I was a kid, specifically in California. I actually studied there (kindergarten & grade 1). After grade 1, I continued my studies here in the Philippines. However, the people at the US Embassy here in the Philippines said that my green card expired when I turned 21. I should've included this info in my first post. Oh well. Does this info have any bearing on my current situation?

being in america for 2 years or having gone to school there doesnt really matter, what matters is on the anniversary of your leaving america , your gc expires.(it could be 2nd anniversary if you had secured a re entry permit)

i can relate to your case in the sense, i did my first grade to 5th grade schooling in america, just like you did, had the gc, the ssn and everything and i secured a re-entry permit and left america in 1991 and never returned for a long time, in 1993 my rentry permit expired along with it my gc too, later my dad got naturalized in 1996, i was 16 (but i guess at that time to automatically become a usc , both ur parents have to get naturalized and u have to be under 18) but later my dad petitioned for me and i got my gc in 2003 ( i was still single), the time lines are different as i was from india, but the cases do relate in many ways.... so we are looking at quite some time.....

good luck with the nursing, that should work out fine towards an h1 and ultimately a gc