Married abroad before interview

fpettigrew

I applied for citizenship in Nov 2004. Then nothing happened for 12 months--I finally made an infopass appointment and called the 1800 # and got things moving. Got FP and just received Interview date--all great news.

In the meantime, I got married abroad. Did not bother to fill any papers in the US since my husband does not live in the US and it would take 5 years to get him a GC with my current status.As soon as get citizenship, we plan to be together in the US.

I have to inform the officer of my marriage in late 2005. Is this going to cause me any problems?

F.

fpettigrew said:
I applied for citizenship in Nov 2004. Then nothing happened for 12 months--I finally made an infopass appointment and called the 1800 # and got things moving. Got FP and just received Interview date--all great news.

In the meantime, I got married abroad. Did not bother to fill any papers in the US since my husband does not live in the US and it would take 5 years to get him a GC with my current status.As soon as get citizenship, we plan to be together in the US.

I have to inform the officer of my marriage in late 2005. Is this going to cause me any problems?

F.

I do not think it will as long as you tell the officer, which you internd to do . You also need to bring with you your husband's birth certificate and your marriage license, both in English and stamped by your goverment to show authenticity. I would also get a copy of his passport to show just in case.

Last edited by a moderator: