• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

marriage

ivston

Registered Users (C)
SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POSTING. IT WAS BY MISTAKE.

I am one of the DV2008 winners. However I do have an important issue to resolve, for which I would like to hear your advice. I have a girlfriend, who I've been with for almost 2 years and which I love a lot. I am 21 years old and my girlfriend is 20. As far as I have been told by now - the only way I can take her with me in the USA i to marry her before the interview of at least before I enter the US. But marriage is an important decision, for which I still do not feel ready enough to take. My reluctance is not because I believe that I'll take the wrong decison by marring her, but because I believe that it is not the right time to do it. A man marries when he is willing, able and ready to support a family. I certainly can not say this about myslef. I just finished university and I earn as much as to be able to support myself and pay my loans. A normal wedding (one which she definitely deserves) in my country costs almosts as much as my income for a year and half. Alternative wedding is one in which we will just sign in front of few witnesses, but you will agree that this is not a wedding for which any woman would dream, it is not the wedding for which I dream also.
Moreover if the consular officer wants to see photos from our wedding, he/she could interpret and suspect it as fictisious one (usually such weddings would occur between an alien and a US citizen for the purpose of the alien to obtain a green card).
Is there any altenative way by which I could take her with me, besides marriage? What if she comes to the US by another visa and we marry in the US? Could she get a status, which will allow her to stay in the US?

Last edited by a moderator: