Marriage while 485 pending, unusal case!

Tx2

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,

My 485 is pending on VSC since Sept, 2002.

My life time girl friend is comming United States next week in a student Visa. Of course we are planning to get married. Many people suggested me not to marry within a month of arrival. Wait for a month or two. But I am desperate to get married just after her arrival.

What I am suppose to do. Marry after arrival and apply for her 485 or wait for few months to marry.

1) Please give me a advice what I am suppose to do.

2) What are procedures to apply 485, I mean what supporting documents I need to submit.

Thanks in an advance.

If you marry less than 30 days after she arrives on a student or visitor visa, the service might make a point out of it later on. They will argue that her INTENT when she entered the country was not to study but to get married and that she therefore violated the terms of her student visa.

Under no circumstances whatsoever she should mention the word 'marry' in the presence of any immigration official. Also, she shouldn't indicate that you are her fiancee, better have a separate address for the F visa processing.

( From what I understand there are no issues if you get married after more than 30 days, I guess they figure that is the time period it takes to create new thoughts.)

Why the rush ??

hadron said:
If you marry less than 30 days after she arrives on a student or visitor visa, the service might make a point out of it later on. They will argue that her INTENT when she entered the country was not to study but to get married and that she therefore violated the terms of her student visa.

-- hadron is right. do not marry in less than 30 days.

Under no circumstances whatsoever she should mention the word 'marry' in the presence of any immigration official. Also, she shouldn't indicate that you are her fiancee, better have a separate address for the F visa processing.

-- again hadron is absolutely right.

( From what I understand there are no issues if you get married after more than 30 days, I guess they figure that is the time period it takes to create new thoughts.)

Why the rush ??

-- hadron, the rush on his part is clear. His AOS is pending since Sep 02. He can get approved any time. He has to add his wife's application before his approval. understandable.

> the rush on his part is clear. His AOS is pending since Sep 02.
> He can get approved any time. He has to add his wife's
> application before his approval.

Is that the 'follow to join' thing ?
What he wants to avoid is getting her AOS denied based on the violoation of her student visa. If she gets married within 30 days and stays for 6 months on F1, she could accumulate a prohibitive amount of out-of status time in a hurry.

(again, talk to a knowlegdable attorney, but I think in this case he would give similar advice)

Courtesy of "www.rreeves.com"

DANGERS OF CHANGING STATUS TOO SOON AFTER ENTRY
Posted on: 5/26/2004

By: Attys. Robert L. Reeves and Love Macione

Q. I entered the United States one month ago as a visitor. At the airport I said that I was coming to visit friends. My U.S. citizen boyfriend proposed to me the night I arrived. Is it OK to get married and file for my green card right away?

Q. My USC wife and I got married in the U.S. last year during a visit, but I had to go Back to the Philippines in order to close my business. I just reentered the U.S. using my visitor visa. Can I now apply for my green card here in the U.S.?

Q. I just entered the U.S. as a visitor three weeks ago. Now I think I want to either get a student visa or a specialty worker visa (H-1B). Should I apply right away?

A. One’s intention at the time of entry to the United States is often an issue that arises when an individual seeks to adjust status to permanent resident or obtain a different type of visa. There are two main types of visas, immigrant and nonimmigrant. Under Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Naturalization Act, there is a legal presumption that all persons seeking entry are immigrants, with few exceptions. Nonimmigrant visas, such as visitor visas, take much less time to obtain if the consular officer is convinced that an individual seeks to remain in the U.S. only temporarily. For this reason, the U.S. government pays close attention when a person who entered as a nonimmigrant attempts to obtain a green card soon after his or her entry. If it is found that one has used visa for a purpose other than the one intended, a person will be deemed inadmissible to the U.S.

In the first scenario described above, filing an application for adjustment of status days after your entry will raise the presumption that you were intending to immigrate all along. Although the regulations do not specifically give a “safe” time to apply, filing within 60 days after entry will probably be a problem unless a very good reason for doing so is presented. An individual in this situation may wish to wait to file to avoid raising the presumption.

Entering the United States on a visitor’s visa with the intention of permanently reuniting with one’s wife will be considered visa fraud. If this fact pattern is presented to an officer during the adjustment of status interview, the applicant will almost certainly be found inadmissible for fraud and will be required to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility. However, if he intended only to visit and then to return to the Philippines to consular process, but later changed his mind, there is no intent issue.

Preconceived intent is also a concern for those who enter on one type of nonimmigrant visa with the true intention of pursuing another purpose. In the third scenario described above, a visitor for pleasure actually wishes to work or pursue studies. Although visitor visas are sometimes issued in order for one to visit schools, generally it is an abuse of a visitor visa, when one claims to be coming as a tourist, to come to the U.S. to look for a job or to enroll in school. Denials of such requests for change of status made within 60 days of entry have been upheld by the courts because of the preconceived intent issue.

Although one’s intent is truly only known to the individual himself, the timing of filings and answers to what appear to be innocuous questions by the consular or other immigration officials may prove fatal to one’s plans in the U.S. It is imperative that anyone who entered on a nonimmigrant visa discuss one’s long- and short-term plans with a knowledgeable immigration attorney before attempting to change, extend, or adjust status in the U.S.