Marriage License

csm

Registered Users (C)
Hi all, just want to thank all of you for all the good info. everyone is getting.

My question is: I got married in a church in Jordan and I have the Church license. Is this license good enough for the USCIS? I have my interview for my N400 on Jan. 24 in Sacramento. Once I get my USC i will file all the necessary paper to adjust her status.

Do I need to re marry at the City of Sacramento so I can get an official marriage license keep in mind I mentioned in my N400 application that I was married last August?

Thanks a lot

Marriage License is not a Marriage Certificate. And INS needs a Marriage Certificate to certify your relationship with her, and not a Marriage License.

Having a Marriage License doesn't mean parties are already married, rather marriage license is just a permission to get married. Thus, you cannot file immigration papers for her until you get married.

Marriage license is good for only few days. Thus, you might like to check the validity of marriage license that you have; otherwise you would need to apply for a Marriage License again.

Thank you Jonny. Do you think it will be okay with the immigration office to re-marry, then we will have 2 marriage dates?

I thought US recongizes most country marriage cert (such as from Church).

I might fall into the same situation soon, and I would be glad to hear what I should do.

csm said:
Thank you Jonny. Do you think it will be okay with the immigration office to re-marry, then we will have 2 marriage dates?

Actually, your question is not clear for me to give you a correct answer.

If you are already married to this person, then you don't need to marry her again. But if you were previously married to her but got divorced, and would marry her again, then it is completely okay so long you would submit a divorce decree to INS with your paperwork for her about previously terminating the marriage with her. Your marriage date would be the current date of marriage, and not the date of marriage when you were married with her first time.

However, I must tell you to be ready for the scrutiny from INS if you are going to remarry with the spouse whom you were previously married. INS is not fool as some people like to believe about them. They know very well how immigrants play all kind of shady games especially when there are million of cases have been reported like this before.

If you read the testimonies of Congress when Congress changed the green card laws based upon marriage, then you would find them saying that aliens do participate in marriage fraud all the times. Mostly aliens are married in back home. They come here on some kind of temporary visa. They find an American woman to get married for paper. They get divorced thru mail from their spouse in back home and get married with American woman for paper. Once they get paper, they divorce American woman and remarried with their former spouse. During processing of green card application for this real spouse, INS detects fraud and then even citizenship application could be reopened.

I just want you to know all this.

Thank you guys for the explanation and sorry for the inclarity in my question. I got married in August and I got the Marriage Certificate from church at that time. what I should have asked is does the INS recognize the church Marriage Certificate from Jordan or not? And I think the answer is YES and I do not need to worry about getting a US marriage certificate.

Thanks a bunch and Happy Holidays.

Find out..

What you nee to find out is if Jordan also issues a Marriage certificate besides a church document.

I know that in many countries they have an office that issues a marriage certificate, you need to sign in front of a offices with witnesses and they issue you a certificate.

In some places the official/priest who conducts the wedding has the authority to issue a certificate of marriage.

So find out if Jordan has any other form of Marriage certificate, simple way is check the US consulate site in Jordan and that will list what they consider documents they need for legal immigration etc.

Answer

There must be a way to get a Civil Marriage Certificate from the city in Jordan.
From The Dept. of Civil Services in Amman "for example"; you need to bring the copy of the church marriage certificate also.
For an advice: do not bring your wife here before she gets her Paper work ready for a green card.
the best way to cut time is to apply for her while she is there, this way she will be processed for the green card in the airport here.
This is the fastest most easiest way.
don't think of bringing her here on Fiance visa and then apply here, it takes 3 years in many cases for her to get the Green Card.
if you apply for her while she is in Jordan, it may take 4-6 months Maximum but she will come here and she will get her passport stamped in the airport then the card by mail in a week or two.

Good Luck.

And you should ask in Jordan; possibly the US Embassy will accept the church Marriage certificate. or you can get a civil marriage certificate easily over there.