Marriage Certificate??

INSSuck

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I need some help on marriage Certificate. I recently applied I 485 EB3 for me and for my wife.
We got married in 2001,as ours was a love marrige and I was in a hurry to get married and come back to work bcoz of project deadlines.We got married in a temple, and they gave us a marriage certificate in my native language which I made an English version of it signed by a lawyer.
But I could not get a marriage certificate from the Registrar office as they told me that it will take a month to get.
So I used the English version of my marriage cert at VIsa Consulate for my wife H4.We had no problems, and used for my wifes college also, we don't have any problems.

But during applying for my I485, my lawyer told me that I should provide mc from Registrar office. I explained him the situation,he said if any RFE comes then you are responsible I said ok.
Guys any of you in my shoes and went had any problems pl let me know.

Thanks in advance
INSSUCK

I would say get married in USA......I went to Las vegas where there is a window system for marraige "get in get out". Got married, got the certificate and that is something INS can not challenge.

Thank You Guys

Thank you guys for the Info.

As I already filed with my I485 I will wait till any RFE comes ,
If it comes then I will see whether get the certificate from Indian Consulate or Marrying in Las Vegas.

Thanks again

Read the fine prints if you plan to marry in Vegas ..
Some states may require that you go to the local municipality (where you live) to get the marriage certificate endorsed, etc ...
Do some research first.

Marriage Certificate

Don't wait till you get the refee, You will have not enough time to get the document, try now itself all the possibilites.This is my experience

my 2 cents

If you are already married and submitted that documentation to INS to get H4, then it is not a good idea to marry again in the US. Here in the US, each state has it’s rule and the certificate will carry the date of marriage not the old date. So I would suggest that you get the appropriate document regarding your original marriage date.

Don't Remarry

Even the same the girl :). God Bless!

You are married, you have sufficient documentation to provide proof of that marriage, you used this documentation in various places and its been accepted. You used this judgement to initially file. I know, now as time approaches decision day you are naturally apprehensive since the lawyer planted the seed of doubt. That's understandable. Here's what I would do:

- prepare for the RFE by getting the marriage certificate from the proper source. I think you said the registrar.

You've disclosed this document many times without problem, why change that, just get the 'more official' copy that confirms your current MC.

Good luck! You probably won't even get the RFE. But don't get complacent, work and get that support document from the registrar.

-harris

Hi Inssuck....

According to my knowledge, don't get marriage cert or birth cert's from indian consulate. They are not vaild in INS. You can show the temple certificate in front of the indian marriage registrar get the marriage certificate which can be accepted by INS.

Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys for the Info.

I should be prepared now before getting any RFE. I won't be remarrying but try to get a certificate from registrar.

But Earlier when I tried it, it didn't work with registrar by showing the Temple Certificate , its been more than a yr after marriage, may be I will send my wife's passport and my passport
and the gazetted signature copy of MC.
That should be enough proof for them to give one.

Thanks a lot again