marriage certificate

oct_4_2001

Registered Users (C)
I have marriage certificate issued from the marriage office Dhanbad, Bihar( now Jharkhand) which is handwritten (in English). While submitting my I-485 my lawyer felt the certificate to be not appropriate as it was handwritten, then I got a marriage certificate from the Indian Embassy based on the passport particulars. INS didn't accept it and I have got the RFE for the marriage certificate.

Now, I have asked my in-laws to get the same certificate typed written but it seems it has become a big issue over there(Dhanbad) as they never issued any typed written certificate so far. And it looks like, it wouldn't be easy to get it typed written.

What should I do ? My lawyer says that the INS has some guideline that all the paper works should be on the form or typed written.

Should I submit the handwritten certificate? Is anybody having any experience with handwritten marriage certificate ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess everything can be done there. You have to spend some money.

Thats really weard. I never heard any Govt. certificate issued in handwritten.

Produce the Written Certificate

My Friend:

Where on earth does the INS tell you that it should be type-written.

Produce the marriage certificate as is as long as it is in English and has your an your spouses name on it. Also, if it is not in English then make sure you get an official translation.

There is absoultely no problem with the certificate as long as there is a seal of the person issuing it.

Dont worry!!!

My Date of Birth certificate was hand written too on a pre-printed form. I have n't got any RFE for that.
Anyhow, try to follow what your lawyer says.

Get Marriage affidavit it will be couple of pages but you can get in english as well as type written on stamp paper.