Marriage and I-485. Pls advise.

sds70

Registered Users (C)
Q1. If I get married and If I don\'t bring my wife along with me, will I be able to file for I-485 with all the necessary documents? (Is it OK for her to be in India while being filed for I-485)?

Q2. I know that medical examination is an important step for filing I-485. So, If she is here in India, how will the situation be treated? What is the procedure?

Q3. Would a registered marriage treated as sufficient evidence of marriage in place of a traditional wedding?

Thanks much,
-sds

My Suggestion. not the answer to your qs.

Better file for I-485 you alone. you will get RD & ND .when you receive Fp Date. keep postpone for sometime till your wife come here and file for I-485, which will be added to your case.

Any how consult before filing I-485 regarding this.

assuming u have a valid H1...

get her here on H4 for a week. file both 485\'s togather and then let her go back.

Answers not legal advice

1. You can not file your wife\'s I485 in USA unless she is physically present in USA.

2. If your wife in USA, she has to do her medical exam here itself. You can\'t do medical exam in India and submit that here.

3. Registered marriage is considered as legal marriage if you have all the necessary documents (like marriage certificate issued by authorized officer etc). In most of the western country, only registerd marriage is considered as legal.

If you prefer your wife to remain in India and to continue with GC, consider the option of follow-on to join. Talk to a good lawyer.