Marriage after Greencard Huge predicament..HELP

srinivinod

Registered Users (C)
Can someone help me with this marriage predicament. I am currently on Adjustment Status with RD of March2001. I am facing a waiting time of 2 years to get my GC. During this time can I go to india and get married? I am on EID and not H1. So how will I bring my wife back here. IF this limits my choice to marry someone on H1 or F1 what is the procedure and what kind of problem am I facing here. PLease help me with some choices..I cant stand the pressure from folks back home..need help

PS: I posted this before and for some reason I cannot find the thread here anynmore...I apologise for folks that had read this before

No Title

If you have not completed six years on H1B, you may be able to renew your H1B. This should allow you to maintain dual status and travel on your H1B status. You should check with your lawyer though.

EAD

You just applied for EAD card or you already used ur EAD for employment? If you just applied for it, then your H1 is still valid. But if you already used it for employmnet, then your H1 is not longer valid and you cannot bring your spouse on H4. Check with your attorney

Folks...I just applied for EAD and My H1 expires this october

When u say if I have not used up my 6 years (true in my case) I should be able to get h1 later? Like perhaps after 1 year in EAD? Can I switch from EAD to H1 if I want to next year?

I\'m on the same boat :)

But I did not apply my EID. As far as I know about this complicated 485 stuff. My understanding is that if your on EID your H1B is not valid u need advance parol to travel back home. AND If on H1B and applied 485 you can include your spouse anytime before you get your actual GC approval. BTW I could be totally wrong ... just check with your lawyer for a better understanding.

Its not about wife selection my friend

Its about complications involved with all the stupid regulations that has no merit when it calls for separation of your spouse for no fault of yours...

Talk to a lawyer

If you are on EAD, you will not be able to bring your future spouse on any non-immigrant visa (unless you abandon your GC and go for H1 again). Check Follow-to-join. It is convenient to find a girl who is here (citizen, PR, non-immig visa).

No Title

yes, if your spouse comes here on H1, it should be no problem to add her to your I-485 application.

No Title

Most likely she will be denied F1 if you (husband) have applied for AOS to PR. So, she must come (atleast once) before you marry her.

how so?

*she comes on F-1 on her own
* you marry her in the US
**you sponsor her based on your green card...
***her F-1 would be valid like 3-6 yrs or so anyway

No Title

My cousine married a guy who already have green card, so she has to wait till he got his citizenship to come to USA. I think it is better you marry her before you get green card, then apply for green card with you. Best bet would be ask her to come to USA on F1 or H1(I don\'t know about visitor) and then marry her.

Thanks..I think I have an idea on what I an looking at ..

As you mentioned, the best bet is to look for somoene who is already here or capable of comming here on her own..Good thing is I am not married. I am just evaluating my present situation...