Marriage after Citizenship restrictions

Fgsilva

Registered Users (C)
What happens when a person obtain his/her citizenship based on marriage and wants to marry another foreigner after getting a divorce? Can then the new spouse apply for adjustment of status? Or are there restrictions imposed to citizens that obtain their citizenship based on marriage? to make a long story short, a friend of mine will be marrying someone in the near future after the person gets their citizenship. but someone else already said that because she would be marrying a person who got their citizenship based on marriage, that she would have to wait at least 5 years before she could apply for a green card. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

Once you become a citizen, you can divorce and remarry as many times as your bank account can stand it! :eek: There is no period for which you are a "conditional citizen", unlike when you obtain a conditional GC.

boatbod is right, there is no truth to that 5 years thing. Perhaps there was a mixup with the amount of time it takes for a permanent resident to be able to obtain a GC for the spouse, compared to applying together for AOS. Your friend is already a citizen, so that doesn't apply. I think it is just a mixup between the permanent resident/US citizen cases.

My 2 cents.