Maintaining GC status for Naturalization

dvedapudi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have had my GC for 1.5 years now. My company now wants me to work at its Indian branch and move there on an indefinite basis. I would still like to keep my options open for naturalization. Assuming I satisfy the 50% Physical Presence requirement (2.5 years), how can I satisfy the Continuous Residence (CR) requirement, so I can apply for naturalization 3.5 years from now? If my company files a N470 application (to preserve CR for naturalization purposes) would I be able to come back in 3.5 years and apply for citizenship? Are there any other conditions to be met prior to and/or after citizenship that I need to be aware of?
Thank You,
Dee

Being sent overseas indefinitely is already an indication to BCIS that you intend to abandon your permanent residency. Whether that's true or not from your perspective is another matter.

Even if you were able to maintin your green card, you are going to run into issues when you apply for your naturalization. You can't just come back to the US for a couple of weeks every 5-6 months in an attempt to keep your green card alive. BCIS will see right through that and they wll most likely deny your naturalization application. In the worst case senario, which is not too unlikely in this case, they might even revoke your permanent residency.

You can, however, apply for a re-entry permit (good for 2 years) before you leave the US. The time that you spend overseas will not count towards the physical presence requirement for your naturalization unless you qualify for n-470. Also, just because you have a re-entry permit does not guaurantee that you'll be able to keep your green card. You'll need to maintain as much ties to the US as possible during your time away.

Good luck :)