Maiden or new name on I-485/130 package?

usamnt

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I got married in 8-2002. She is Brazilian and I am US Citizen. We are now submitting I-130, 485, 864, 765, 131, 325a, etc.

Her passport has he maiden name on it; as does marriage certificate. Can I fill out the paperwork with her new last name as our first step to changing her name?

Thanks!

Yes you can

usamnt, you can change her name in the application. I did the same thing and everything okay :)

I still have my passport and marriage cert in my maiden name but my AOS application using my husband's sir name. Good luck.

Actually the first step should be to get the pasport changed on the basis of the marriage certificate. and then it will be easier during AOS interview to show the passport under married name.

SWaiting,

I don't have problem with having my maiden name in my passport while having my AOS interview. The issue never come up at all. It must be a hassle if I want to change my passport with a new name coz' all my ID in my countries have my maiden's name. Different countries may have different kind of procedures, but for my country I have to do lots of work just to change the name. Probably take months!

Have a nice day :)

kitaorang,
INS wont dare to create a problem for a nice person like you.:) .
All I had to do for my wife was to mail her old passport to the consulate in NY along with the application for name change and marriage certificate and we got the new passport in 4 days by mail.

I did that so that I can show that also as a proof of the marriage.
Plus one never knows what kind of interviewer you get..

enjoy:D