Lufthansa Travel help

gopanna

Registered Users (C)
I know this is not the right forum but i am trying my luck. My green card was approved and stamped in May but don't have my Physical card yet. I am travelling to India next month by Lufthansa, do i need a transit visa. I appreciate your feed back

You need to contact the nearest German Consulate. If they tell you that you dont need one, try to get it in writing.
I have had a bad experience in the past with Advance Parole, so I hate for you to go thru the same situation. Worst case, if in doubt, or you get conflicting answers, just get a Transit Visa for the duration of your trip.

Another interesting aspect of transit visa. I am not sure if it would apply to Germany, but applied to UK. I was planning to transit through UK next month (changed plans for some other reason).
The UK consulate web site mentions that if the person transiting is air-side, i.e. not pass thru UK immigration, and is a passport holder of India, but is a permanant resident of US, there is no need for transit visa. I called up UK consulate (also mentioned on UK consulate web site) to clarify about the permanant resident status. The lady answering queries very specifically mentioned that the proof of permanant resident is the actual
green card . Just the stamp of temporary proof of permanant residency is not valid. This is something people might need to consider before deciding about applying for transit visas to UK and other countries. Best thing is to call up the country consulates.