Lost Passport and I-94

swj

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone help? I have a friend of mine who is getting ready to file I-485 package, but he's lost his passport and I-94. Is there a form with USCIS to replace the I-94 to prove he legally entered? Should he also replace his passport or is the I-94 enough?

swj said:
Can anyone help? I have a friend of mine who is getting ready to file I-485 package, but he's lost his passport and I-94. Is there a form with USCIS to replace the I-94 to prove he legally entered? Should he also replace his passport or is the I-94 enough?

I think he should file I-102 to get replacement I-94.

i have same probleam my friend, lost passport and i-94, i filled for replacement and my stupid lawyer said yeah go ahed they ll be here before they get back to me, migration send me a letter that they need 1-94 or a porve on how i got , here, it has been hell from there, i need help if u find a way to retrieve urs

note i file I-485 package first, thinking my i-94 will be back on time, big mistake
Hey all,
My purse was stolen last year and my visa was in there. As far as I-94, when I began the process I saw an attorney and he advised me to return it, so I did. Not good. I spoke to someone at USCIS and they told me I needed that for. She suggested I attach an explanation for both visa being stolen and I-94. I also attached a coppy of the police report and I have just sent out the I-485 packet. The lady from USCIS did say that they're able to check record of it but may not want to go through hassle.
Now I read you had trouble with it, I'm nervous about my case. Good luck to you.

To the port of entry, where it was issued.

Are you in the USA or out? If you are out then you needed to have returned it to USCIS. If you are in, you need to hold onto your I-94 even if it has expired. You need to fire that attorney ASAP.

Are you in the USA or out? If you are out then you needed to have returned it to USCIS. If you are in, you need to hold onto your I-94 even if it has expired. You need to fire that attorney ASAP.

I consulted with him and had intentions of applying with his help but I've proceeded with the process on my own. And I am in the states, have been for 19 years.

A copy of his stamped passport and or I-94 or even a boarding pass should be sufficient. Otherwise I would advice you to FOIA your records. A lot of times when you apply for I-102 the request gets denied because you must send your app with supporting docs like police report and or affidavits etc...

As for FOIA, it takes 6-8 months right now (sometimes it's 3 months if it is not a lot of requests). You can even ask an attorney to have it expedited for you.
I submitted mines in April and still waiting... Maybe you can ask for USCIS to place the I-485 on hold until you get your docs together. Please seek counsel with an attorney.

Good luck.

Don't just fire the attorney, report him/her to the state's bar association. Telling you to hand in your I-94 when you're not leaving the US and don't have a green card is gross incompetence. Unless your English isn't good and the attorney meant that you should send a copy of the I-94 with your green card application, and you mistakenly interpreted that to mean you should submit the I-94 itself to the immigration authorities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't just fire the attorney, report him/her to the state's bar association. Telling you to hand in your I-94 when you're not leaving the US and don't have a green card is gross incompetence. Unless your English isn't good and the attorney meant that you should send a copy of the I-94 with your green card application, and you mistakenly interpreted that to mean you should submit the I-94 itself to the immigration authorities.

My english is very good and completely understood what he said. I was told that at a port of entry the authorities have a record of it and I'm hoping I can retrieve something from them. I am concerned that this will delay or cause a problem with my process. Today USCIS mailed out a RFE notice, we'll see what happens.