Lost my passport with Visa in it!!

projectpete19

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am a canadian citizen living in the us with TN status. I have lost my passport with my I-95 (tn visa) in it, I do have a colour photo copy of it. My currnet TN expires on June 29, I know if I apply for a renewal visa I get 240 days grace but does that mean I can still travel to canada after June 29 with no problems?

If so, since I lost my passport with my visa my replacement will not have the visa in the passport, what does that mean to the customs agents?

Hello,

I am a canadian citizen living in the us with TN status. I have lost my passport with my I-95 (tn visa) in it, I do have a colour photo copy of it. My currnet TN expires on June 29, I know if I apply for a renewal visa I get 240 days grace but does that mean I can still travel to canada after June 29 with no problems?

If so, since I lost my passport with my visa my replacement will not have the visa in the passport, what does that mean to the customs agents?

Since you have a copy of your current TN, you can get a replacement from any port of entry just tell them you lost it but I think you may need to replace your passport first before replacing your TN status. I did this before when I went to travel outside of US and Canada, they usually take i-94 card so I had to go to POE to have it replaced. If you're goin to renew your TN anyways I suggest just renew it now thru mail and send copies of ur current TN and passport and the receipt notice should be okay until u get the new TN.

It simply means the odds are you will get hassled at the border. Just bring everything you need to apply for a new TN on your trip and just present all the documents to them. You may have to show a lot of proof as this isn't a common situation and many of the customs guards may not have dealt with this. So that then makes them more cautious as well...

I am filling out the I-129 and it asks for passport number. I lost it but I do have the number, what should I put here since I am getting a new one and it may have a new number.

i just realized that on the travel.state.gov website it says canadian citizens dont need a passport to get a TN visa, i can fly into buffalo and drive over the border into canada and drive back to the U.S. side and get the visa.

Does anyone know if I would get hassled or the customs guys think i do need a passport to get a tn

here is the link to the site and the quote:

travel.state.gov link

Requirements for Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens usually do not need a visa as a NAFTA Professional, although a visa can be issued to qualified TN visa applicants upon request. However, a Canadian residing in another country with a non-Canadian spouse and children would need a visa to enable the spouse and children to be able to apply for a visa to accompany or join the NAFTA Professional, as a TD visa holder. To apply for visa, please see the requirements under the section Mexican Citizens - Applying for a TN Visa - Required Documentation.

A Canadian citizen without a TN visa can apply at a U.S. port of entry with all of the following:

Request for admission under TN status to Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection, U.S. immigration officer;
Employment Letter - Evidence of professional employment. See Employment Letter below;
Proof of professional qualifications, such as transcripts of grades, licenses, certificates, degrees, and/or records of previous employment;
Proof of ability to meet applicable license requirements;
Proof of Canadian citizenship- Canadian citizens may present a passport, as visas are not required, or they may provide secondary evidence, such as a birth certificate. However, Canadian citizens traveling to the United States from outside the Western Hemisphere are required to present a valid passport at the port-of-entry;
Fee of U.S. $50

currently you can do land border crossings without a passport, but you need a passport for airport entry crossings such as Pearson Airport in Toronto. I have always used my passport when applying for TN regardless of land or air.