Lost I-797 and can't renew my driver's license

MumboJumbo

Registered Users (C)
My i-485 is pending and I am working with my EAD right now. Every year when my EAD expires I have to renew my driver's license.

I lost the original copy of I-797, a receipt notice of my I-485 application. In my case, to acquire or renew a drivers license in Virginia, you must present the original copy of the receipt(I-797). They don't accept a photo copy of it. So I contacted the immigration office customer service and asked for duplicating i-797, they said they don't do that. With the DMV not being helpful either I can't renew my license. I have to drive my car for work.

Any idea to help? Thanks.

If you don't have the I-797, they should accept the EAD. Or are they also refusing when you have a valid EAD?

I used to be able to renew my license with my EAD but they have tightened the restriction. You must show an original I-797. I want to know if it's really true that the USCIS doens't duplicate I-797. A guy I talked on the phone said they don't but maybe he didn't want to deal with it. I went to DMV three times with no success.

Visit your state's DMV web site, and study the list of required documents. Maybe the lack of the I-485 receipt can be made up with something else like your I-94 or Social Security card. Do you have an unexpired I-94, even if it is from entering with Advance Parole?

I am in the same boat - have you found a solution?

I used to be able to renew my license with my EAD but they have tightened the restriction. You must show an original I-797. I want to know if it's really true that the USCIS doens't duplicate I-797. A guy I talked on the phone said they don't but maybe he didn't want to deal with it. I went to DMV three times with no success.

Hi,

I am in the same boat - have you found a solution yet? I called the USCIS too and they said the same - they dont issue duplicate notices. I too need to renew my license.