Lost Green Card and Temorary Visa I-551 on Passport

luckymolugu

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife lost her green card, we applied for duplicate I-90 online. They said it may take 6 months to One year and also they said they are not giving temporary visa stamp on the passports any more- we used to get 1 year Visa while GC being processed - now she doesn't have any official document to show her Visa Status.

Mean while her Drivers License expired when we go for extension of license they are asking for Proof of Visa status, we don't have official document to show the Visa status. We are stuck now she can't get the Drivers License until she get the GC.

Is there any way we can get the temporary stamp on the Passport?

Please help.

laxman

Hi,
I had a similar problem recently, I had to file I-90. I needed to travel so I made an Infopass, brought with me I-90 package to be sent (you can use a copy, or the NOA), copy of Approval Letter. They didn't ask to see anything, everything is on computer anyway. The gave me a I-551 stamp with no question, valid for 1 year and marked by hand I-90 category.

Visit your office and see what they say.

Barbara

You're right!

You're right. I live in the state of New Jersey. and when I tried to get a stamp because I lost my greencard. They wanted to see proof that I applied for the I-90 and proof of an emergency. and when I showed them these 2 proofs they only gave me a stamp for a month! My stamp already expired and I don't have proof of status now..and on the USCIS webpage it says that not carrying your greencard with you or some kind of proof of status is a misdemeanor. so I don't know what kind of point they are making! are we supposed to hide until we get some kind of proof of our status. I thought I was gonna get a stamp for like a year but I only got one for a month! :mad: