Lodging US Citizenship

kaindia

Registered Users (C)
This might be simple but i am just asking as i am not sure on US
immigration laws. My parents are in States and next year in June 2006 will be completing their 5 years as permanent residents. When should they lodge their application for citizenship?.
I have heard from people that lodgment can be made few months sprior to completion of 5 years as by the time it gets processed it will be 5 years. Is this true? :confused: Any other tips on lodgement process will be much appreciated?

Kain

Thanks for that. I found that out shortly as well while i was visiting the USCIS site.
Can anybody tell me why they give you 90 days earlier to apply?? Is there any reason behind this and how long will the process take?. My parents live in Seattle.

Thanks

kaindia said:
Thanks for that. I found that out shortly as well while i was visiting the USCIS site.
Can anybody tell me why they give you 90 days earlier to apply?? Is there any reason behind this and how long will the process take?. My parents live in Seattle.

Thanks
The answer to your first question is in your first input.
It could take from 6 months to 3-4 years.

Thanks, Does anybody else know why it may take 6 months to 3-4 years.
If you submit everything right the first time and dont change any interview dates/ not a terrorist etc, why may it take years? Has anybody lodged in Seattle....can advise time it took for them to get it?

Thanks

kaindia said:
Thanks, Does anybody else know why it may take 6 months to 3-4 years.
If you submit everything right the first time and dont change any interview dates/ not a terrorist etc, why may it take years? Has anybody lodged in Seattle....can advise time it took for them to get it?

Thanks
That's the problem. The CIS does not have to have a reason to delay things. I filed N-400 for everyone in my family. Everything was done right, no mistakes, no missing documents, all 4 of us had straight forward cases.
For my 2 daughters the whole process from filing N-400 to oath took only 6 months (my younger one hasn't gotten her oath letter yet, but I am sure she will next month).
For me it was 2 years. I did not have any problems. They kept saying that everything was OK, and that it was normal to wait that long. I was interviewed 2 years after filing N-400 and took an oath a week after my interview.
For my husband it is not over yet. He was interviewed in November, 2003, six months after filing N-400, and he is still waiting for his name check clearance to take an oath (read the first thread on this forum to find out about lenghty name check processes).
Best of luck!