Living in Canada as PR. Working in US on H1-B

atlmallu

Hello all,

We are Canadian PRs based in Montreal currently. I am planning to move to Buffalo, NY on H1-B later this year. My wife's company is ready to transfer her to their Toronto office. We are considering setting up base in Toronto, will me being away in the US during the week and back in Canada during weekends.

1) Is this OK from an immigration point of view? Will I be violating any H1-B clause by travelling out of US every weekend?
2)I am thinking of getting the Nexus card. Will this avoid the requirement for stamping the passport every time I cross the border?
3)I understand there are tax implications. But in addition to that, do I need Canadian income to maintain PR status?

I am a lot confused with this entire planning process and any additional input will definitely help. Thanks!

- Atlmallu

You must reside in Canada 2 years out of 5 to maintain your permanent residency. NEXUS cards you have to be a citizenship or legal permanent resident and residing in that county to be eligible and you must have been a P.R. for at least 3 years. Passports can still be stamped if ever you are chosen for a random screening or for any other reason but yes it will avoid most stamping however I doubt you'd be eligible. You must also report and address changes so you cannot get it first then move.

You must reside in Canada 2 years out of 5 to maintain your permanent residency. NEXUS cards you have to be a citizenship or legal permanent resident and residing in that county to be eligible and you must have been a P.R. for at least 3 years. Passports can still be stamped if ever you are chosen for a random screening or for any other reason but yes it will avoid most stamping however I doubt you'd be eligible. You must also report and address changes so you cannot get it first then move.

Thanks Soupy0. Are you saying that I have to be residing in Canada as a PR for 3 years, to be eligible for the nexus card? I have been living in Canada for more than 3 years now, but on a work permit status. I recieved my PR only about 3 months back. So this makes me ineligible for Nexus?

What happens if I get the Nexus card based on my Canadian address, and later move to a US address? Does this make the Nexus card invalid?