Listing short jobs on N-400? Name on GC, and AR-11.. A few questions

iwant2bAmerican

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have a few questions about filling out the n-400 and GC issues.

I am wondering if I need to list short-lasting jobs on my n-400. I worked at one place for a week and made less than $100. Another place I worked a couple weeks and made a little over $500. Do I need to list these?

Also, I got married in 2008 and never changed my name on my GC because I knew I would be applying for citizenship soon (wasn't planning on waiting three years). So my GC has my maiden name. Is this going to be a problem at the interview if I just send a copy of my marriage certificate and bring the original for the interview?

I also never filled out AR-11 whenever I moved. I never knew about this. My parents have never done it either. I just found out about this a couple weeks ago. Should I just fill out the form online and send it with the address of where I am living now?

Last question. I will be moving to another city in the next couple months, but within the same state and I think I would be going to the same USCIS office for interview, Fairfax, VA. Would moving after sending in the n-400 be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help! I tried searching in the forums but can't find some of my answers so I'm just posting them all here.

I am wondering if I need to list short-lasting jobs on my n-400. I worked at one place for a week and made less than $100. Another place I worked a couple weeks and made a little over $500. Do I need to list these?

Yes you're supposed to list them. Note that if those were temp/freelance/consulting jobs for which you got a 1099 (instead of W2), those would be listed as self-employment along with other jobs for which you had a similar arrangement. So that may result in listing one long stretch of self-employment, instead of listing every individual client you did work for.

Also, I got married in 2008 and never changed my name on my GC because I knew I would be applying for citizenship soon (wasn't planning on waiting three years). So my GC has my maiden name. Is this going to be a problem at the interview if I just send a copy of my marriage certificate and bring the original for the interview?

You don't have to change your name because of marriage; you can keep your maiden name for the rest of your life. So what are you concerned about? Did you change your name on other documents, and failed to change it on your GC? Or do you plan to change it through the citizenship process?

Are you applying on the basis of 3 years of marriage to a US citizen? Be aware that this option requires at least 3 full years of marriage to a citizen who's been a citizen for at least 3 full years; you're not allowed a 90-day headstart on the marriage criteria.

I also never filled out AR-11 whenever I moved. I never knew about this. My parents have never done it either.
Are your parents citizens? Did any of them get citizenship before you turned 18?

I just found out about this a couple weeks ago. Should I just fill out the form online and send it with the address of where I am living now?
Fill it out now to reflect your current address and you'll be OK.

Last question. I will be moving to another city in the next couple months, but within the same state and I think I would be going to the same USCIS office for interview, Fairfax, VA. Would moving after sending in the n-400 be an issue?
You won't be hurt by the 3-month state/district residence requirement, but you might have another problem -- USCIS is often very slow to process a change of address, and the post office generally doesn't forward USCIS mail when you move. So a move in the middle of the process could result in USCIS continuing to send mail to your old address or the post office returning mail to USCIS, resulting in you missing your fingerprinting or interview appointments.

1. One of them is a 1099 but I started a month ago and finished a couple weeks ago. Should I list it?
the other is a w-2 in 2009 so I guess i'll just list it.

2. I changed my name when I got married. I kept my full name and added my husband's last name. I changed my name on SS and Driver's License, but never my GC. Also I am applying based on the 5-year rule. I have been here continuously since 2002.

3. My parents both became citizens after i turned 18 (if only they had done it a couple years earlier..that would've been great)

4. Is the AR really as simple as it seems? Fill out the form online and submit it without any fees?

5. My husband and I are moving out of his parents house, so they should still be here at least until about September unless they sell the house within a couple months of listing it..that would be a miracle.

thanks for your help!

2. I changed my name when I got married. I kept my full name and added my husband's last name. I changed my name on SS and Driver's License, but never my GC. Also I am applying based on the 5-year rule. I have been here continuously since 2002.
Then you just need to provide different answers for the questions "current legal name" (your original name + husband's last name) and "name as displayed on the green card" (maiden name) on the N-400. They will use the "current legal name" to print your naturalization certificate.

4. Is the AR really as simple as it seems? Fill out the form online and submit it without any fees?
Yes, it is that simple and it doesn't have a fee.

5. My husband and I are moving out of his parents house, so they should still be here at least until about September unless they sell the house within a couple months of listing it..that would be a miracle.

So you'll get the mail after you move if USCIS sends it to your old address (because his parents will hold it for you), but not if the post office returns it to USCIS. Your move is in April, right? If you file the N-400 after you move, you'll avoid the risks involved with a mid-stream change of address.

Then you just need to provide different answers for the questions "current legal name" (your original name + husband's last name) and "name as displayed on the green card" (maiden name) on the N-400. They will use the "current legal name" to print your naturalization certificate.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure they wouldn't make it an issue.

Thanks for all the answers. I think I'm good for now.

want2bamerican, I have a similar situation with the whole name change due to marriage thing. I got my GC 2005, got married 2009. After I got married I tried to change my name (as per my marriage certificate) at the DMV and I was told I had to change it through SSA first. When to my local SS office and was told that they couldn't change it because I am a non-citizen! I needed to contact USCIS about my issue. I live in Delaware. They seem to do things differently in Virginia since you were able to at least change your name on your DL and on your SSC. Frustrated, I just went ahead and waited until I was eligible to apply for citizenship. I am worried however, because I have put my married name as my current legal name but none of my other pertinent documents show my married name. How will this work especially with fingerprinting and all - rightly identifying myself as per the name that will be on my USCIS correspondences. I am truly worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please let me know how you went about changing your name at the different agencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
When to my local SS office and was told that they couldn't change it because I am a non-citizen!

What nonsense! Did you show them your green card?
They might require you to change it on your green card before doing the SS change, but refusing because you're a noncitizen is the ignorance of a poorly trained clerk.

I am worried however, because I have put my married name as my current legal name but none of my other pertinent documents show my married name.
I presume you wrote your maiden name in the "name as displayed on the green card" section?

How will this work especially with fingerprinting and all - rightly identifying myself as per the name that will be on my USCIS correspondences. I am truly worried.
Bring your marriage certificate to all USCIS appointments, along with your green card.

The moment the clerk saw that I checked off permanent resident, she told me that I would not be able to change my name without changing it with USCIS. How do you go about changing your name on your green card anyway? Should I do it now? As I said before, I just waited until I could be able to apply for citizenship. I hope not changing my name for so long will not cause any problems.

Yes, I did put my maiden name as "name displayed on green card"

The moment the clerk saw that I checked off permanent resident, she told me that I would not be able to change my name without changing it with USCIS. How do you go about changing your name on your green card anyway? Should I do it now?

Form I-90 is used to order a replacement green card with a new name (or a replacement due to any other reason such as expiration or lost/stolen).

But it doesn't make sense to file I-90 now that you are applying for citizenship. Don't worry about it; yours is a very common situation that USCIS sees all the time in the naturalization process. All you need to do is bring your marriage certificate to the interview and explain that you want to start using your husband's last name, and you'll be fine.

Please let me know how you went about changing your name at the different agencies.

i literally just went to the social security place after i got my marriage certificate and brought my green card and got it changed. i don't remember exactly what they asked for or what i filled out but i didn't lie about being an LPR or anything like that. it makes no sense to me that you couldn't change your name. then I went and did my driver's license. did not have any issues at all. good luck on getting your citizenship. i can't wait

So today I took my chances today again after reading your post and reading the requirements at ssa.gov. They were able now at the same office I went to before to change my name! Halleluia!!! Thanks for the help.

another question..
i never did income tax filing on my own since i was dependent on my parents and then i had the support of my husband and most of the time i didn't work anyways.
do i still need to send tax papers for the last 5 years as listed on the document checklist?