listing of non-US residence address on N400

hn2425

Hello,

I left the US to pursue an MBA in Singapore on January 17, 2009 and returned to the US on February 1, 2010. I obtained a re-entry permit valid from January 17, 2009.

In 2009 I was present in the US from July 4 to August 8, so I was never physically absent for 6months or longer. Also, my drivers license, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. were registered to my in-law's address in California all this time. Now my wife and I live at the same address.

I completed 5 years of permanent residency in October, 2009 and now intend to file N400. How should I list the Singapore address and dates on the N400? Possible options:
(1) List it as "January 17, 2009 to February 1, 2010" and put a note that I was present in the US from July 4 to Aug 8, 2009.
(2) List Singapore as January 17 to July 4 and August 8 to February 1. At the same time list California for July 4 to August 8.
(3) Another way........

Thanks!

(1) List it as "January 17, 2009 to February 1, 2010" and put a note that I was present in the US from July 4 to Aug 8, 2009.
(2) List Singapore as January 17 to July 4 and August 8 to February 1. At the same time list California for July 4 to August 8.

I know what you are trying to say, which is that you maintained residence, but hear this ...

Do not try to confused between address and continuous residence. They are 2 separate issues and you provide their information (even if indirectly) in separate areas of the forms.

You went abroad for a 1 year MBA, and decided to lease / rent apartment there. That is your address. If you came back for 5 weeks, I see it as a temporary visit rather than a change of address.

The place you try to defend continuous residence is where you list all the trips ... this section will indicate that you had no trips longer than 6 months. Whether the IO buys this or not is another question. My take is that if you had only this absence that big and you can show this was temporary since you were studying MBA, it will not be a big deal.