Letter lost in mail (US Post Office)

Wuby

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I've always had this question. All mails sent from INS offices to the applicants and their agents are through first-class mail. Nothing was traceable. Given USPS's track record, it is quite likely that some letters/notices get lost in the mail. Does anybody know how these things are normally handled? During the typical lengthy waiting period for almost all applications, how do we know that our cases are still pending in INS or the letter has been lost in the mail 2 years ago? In the case of N400, they are saying don't ask until it's 2 years... Then again, they only send you one notice, and if you miss the appointment then your case is closed as far as they are concerned. How do I know that I have an appointment if i never receive the letter?

Regards,

Wuby

ps. I just found out (by calling the California Service Center) that my oath ceremony is scheduled on 3/27, yes, in two weeks, yet I have not received anything from them. If my wife didn't receive her notice I would have never guessed that I would be scheduled this soon. If I didn't call then I will for sure miss the ceremony. What is my defense?

Re: Re: Letter lost in mail (US Post Office)

Originally posted by JoeF
They are not handled at all. If you don't show up at the requested time, or don't answer an RFE, your case gets denied. It is as simple as that.

Dear JoeF,

Now that's comforting... So, in your opinion, can I go to the ceremony without the letter? I know the date, time, the location and everything. I just don't have the letter. The lady at the California Service Center didn't seem to know better. All she could tell me was that I was scheduled on 3/27 and the notice letter was already sent out.

Regards,

Wuby

wuby

can you please post your timeline ,and share your experience at interview for your n 400
lot of people in this forum including myself are awiting for the oath ceremony ,
kindly

Originally posted by menael
can you please post your timeline ,and share your experience at interview for your n 400
lot of people in this forum including myself are awiting for the oath ceremony ,kindly
Sure, here you go:

11/25/2001: Filed N-400
3/8/2002: Fingerprint (at San Jose)
2/25/2003: Interview (San Jose)
3/27/2003: Oath (So I was told by California Service Center)

Regards,

Wuby

ps. Interview was very straightforward. She asked me some basic questions (taken from the 100 samples of course) and the entire process took about 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear All,

I just want to report that I went to the local office in San Jose and the officer there printed out a replacement letter for me in about 1 minute. No questions asked. Now I'm all set.

The moral of the story is, when in doubt, go to the local office and spend the time. It's much better that way than calling the various customer service numbers and getting as many different answers as the number of times you've called.

Cheers,

Wuby